Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Article about: Had these off the shelf so I thought I’d snap a few photos and share them with those that are interested in these old Dutch CD helmets. Working from right to left, I picked the first helmet

Default Our Dutch CD Helmets

Had these off the shelf so I thought I’d snap a few photos and share them with those that are interested in these old Dutch CD helmets.

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Working from right to left, I picked the first helmet up a year or so ago, not really sure what I was buying. With the help of a few folks here on the forum I learned that this was a Dutch CD helmet, as can be identified by both the color and the distinctive chin strap buckle. The shell itself is a British MKII, likely supplied to the Dutch army for use during the war and then re-furbished for CD use post war. The shell is stamped EC&Co and is dated 1942. It has a Dutch liner, a clone to the British MKII and like most Dutch examples, is missing the crown pad which must have been made from inferior material to the British crown pads.

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Our Dutch CD Helmets

The white painted helmet, to the far left, is also a British MKII. I can not make out the date or Mfr stamp as it is a little rusted over and I don’t want to mark up the helmet just to read it. Another helmet likely with the same story as the previous but why I grabbed this helmet up is that it still has some pieces of the jute camouflage stuck under the liner. The liner is also the earlier type Dutch liner, before they started using the MKII clone type.

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Our Dutch CD Helmets

The middle helmet is a Dutch made (VB stamped and dated 1956) MKII clone with the leather neck flap. These helmets I believe were issued to the Dutch Fire Brigade.

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Our Dutch CD Helmets

Our Dutch CD Helmets

If anyone has any information on these Dutch CD helmets that you care to share, I would be greatly interested. Not a lot of info on these floating around.

Thanks,

Russ

Default Re: Our Dutch CD Helmets

Nice helmets!

I think you summed it up correctly. The VerBliFa helmet (VB) (as were the other two) was issued to the CD organisation; (BB) in the fifties and used till the discontinuation in the late eighties. The ones with the neckflap were issued to the Fire brigade units of the BB. They were not to equip the regular Fire department units.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thanks Emile........ Can you tell me whe "BB" stands for please?

Russ

Hello Russ,

BB stands for "Bescherming" (Protection) "Bevolking" (Population).

Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 01-25-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Hello Russ,

BB stands for "Bescherming" (Protection) "Bevolking" (Population).

Emile
    Thanks Emile, saved me making a call to my mom

Russ

More has been said about these helmets however most of it is in Dutch. Emile has been kind enough to share more info. here The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives - THE BRODIE HELMET