Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Our Peruvian M-1

Article about: Here is a look at what we can best determine to be a Peruvian M-1. Really struggled to find any concrete information on the identification of Peruvian helmets other than what has already bee

Default Our Peruvian M-1

Here is a look at what we can best determine to be a Peruvian M-1. Really struggled to find any concrete information on the identification of Peruvian helmets other than what has already been posted in this thread. The only thing we really have to add is that Peru went to the US M-1 sometime in the 1950 and used them on into the early 1990’s where they then switch to the US PASGT composite helmet. From what I have read it appears that Peru received several lots of US M-1 so it can be assumed that you could come across a Peruvian M-1 from WWII, Korean War or VN ear.

Now, for what we know about this particular helmet. From the very small piece of rim that remains on the helmet shell it does indicate that this is a front seam making it an earlier WWII lid, assuming that is a US shell which it most likely is if it is in fact Peruvian. It has fixed bales and although they both have been re-welded, the shell does not appear to have ever had the swivel bale fixtures welded to it so it is reasonable to assume this was also an earlier fixed bale helmet. The bales also look to be of McCormick style. There are several layers of paint, one of which appears to be the shade common with the Peruvian helmets. The color shows better on the inside where it still holds some of its gloss. There is also a nice shade of gray indicating that this was once a Peruvian Marine helmet maybe or possibly a US Navy surplus? The Peruvian Civil Defense also used US M-1s but I think they were a different color. And as you can see, there have been several weld repairs made to this helmet over its lifetime.

The chin strap is an odd bird and certainly not in issued form. The large rivets are similar to those used on the Peruvian liners. The chinstrap material is a thinner nylon than I would not expect to be on a chin strap, certainly not on a US helmet however the buckle is clearly stamped “US”, I just have not taken the time yet to determine what helmet or gear the buckle came from.

The liner is an early Vietnam period Westinghouse model stamped “US 32” with the nape strap cradles removed and has been re-fitted with a Peruvian manufactured liner system. Who knows when it was mated with the helmet shell but they both look as though they have been around the block once or twice.

All in all, we are pretty happy with the new acquisition and hope we can better ascertain that it is in fact a Peruvian M-1 helmet.

I posted a mess of pictures and of course they are in no particular order, we hope you enjoy,

Russ & Son

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

Our Peruvian M-1

THE END

JBR
    ?

Default Re: Our Peruvian M-1

An interesting example. Well worth acquiring as a specimen of what we are taking to be a Peruvian M1. It has the classic features - paint colour and quality, evidence of long use with welds etc to the steel shell, refurbished liner with large chrome rivets and non-adjustable nylon webbing (with similar materials used for the chinstrap, too). So it matches mine and others seen here and on eBay - and it matches the Brendonshelmets example. I just wish I could find better photographic evidence of them being used by Peruvian troops. At the moment it's much easier to find examples of the Israeli M1 in use in Peru. Doubtless there are thousands of Peruvian ex-servicemen who could confirm or otherewise - does anyone have contact with one? Best Regards,

Quote by JBR View Post
    I just wish I could find better photographic evidence of them being used by Peruvian troops. At the moment it's much easier to find examples of the Israeli M1 in use in Peru.
    Yes it would be nice to see more physical evidance to give a more positive ID however, I don't question the US M-1 being used by the Peruvian Army, Marines, Civil Defense etc. it is pretty clear from the link below they were used, it would just be nice to have a positively identified example for close inspection/comparison.

Google Translate

Russ

russ another fine aquistion ,its definately been there and had a bit of rough and tumble in its life too,i do like them salty ,alas i have no knowledge on these what so ever ,so im of no help but its just nice to see close up pictures of one in the flesh as it were ,the nylon chinstrap would in my thinking be a fairly modern field repair ,im only going off the fact the us m1 had a similar chinstrap replacement in place for ground troops with the nylon m75 chinstrap made from 1975 through till the final version of the us m1, it was also sold to other nations using the m1 style helmet ,what strikes me is the vertical weld marks up the shell ,what would be the reason for this russ ,a very interesting lid and its gonna look swell on the shelf james
    Regards James

James, thanks for all the great input.

As for the welds, the early M-1 were notorious for vertcal cracks/splits, it's hard to find a WWII period shell with at least very minor cracking. If I recall, this was due to a combination of material and stamping, the M-1 shape really asked a great deal from a single piece of steel. Problem was resolved on later generation helmets with introduction of a slighly different material, if memory serves me correct.

As for the chin strap material, I'm not real certain and I don't have a late model M-1 to compare to but the nylon material seems pretty light to me, to be used for a helmet strap but then again, how much strap do you really need? Of course, this is a made up strap as it has no means to release. From what little I have been able to find on Peruvian gear, this would be typical however.

And the inner tube band was a nice little extra on the helmet!

Regards,

Russ

JBR
    ?

The stress crack question is interesting, isn't it? So many WW2 period M1s have them to varying degrees and I, too, have read that the material/process was improved later to eliminate them. However, I have come across a fair number of US low-dome (ie Vietnam period) shells that also had them. So, I don't believe the problem was eliminated completely. Indeed, my own 'Peruvian' has a welded-up rear stress crack, and another just forming. Best Regards,

?

Hi Russ.

Your example certainly does have all the features that we can only assume to be Peruvian, I really like this one a lot. The fixed bales is a bonus too!

Again the stress crack does seem to be another common feature of these helmets, the US Gov must have made a small fortune,selling these defunct helmets onto the the highest bidder.

Quote by Opex View Post
    Hi Russ.

Again the stress crack does seem to be another common feature of these helmets, the US Gov must have made a small fortune,selling these defunct helmets onto the the highest bidder.

While a great number early US M-1 that experianced sctress cracks, it was determined early on that it did not decrease the effectivness of the helmet and therefore they were left in use and even with the change in metalergy, stress cracks did continue just to a much much lessor extent. Again, asking for a single piece of steel to be pressed into the shape of an M-1 helmet is asking quite a bit.