Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Peruvian M1 ?

Article about: Thanks for your comments, Opex. I imagine Peru doesn't have great wealth to splash around on military equipment and is obliged to 'make do and mend' (eg like Israel in the 60s). Other countr

?

Default Re: Peruvian M1 ?

Hi JBR, as before I look forward to seeing yours, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

It will be interesting to see another example, as I have not seen any others , apart from the one on Brendon's Helmet site.

All the best.
    Opex

this looks like it could be another Peruvian used M1? notice the liner and the large rivets?

Korea Vietnam Era US Army OG M1 Steel Helmet OG Helmet Liner not Reproductions | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Peruvian M1 ?   Peruvian M1 ?  

Peruvian M1 ?  

?

I agree BG, this one does indeed look like a Peruvian M1,judging by the liner cradle, and rivets,the colour looks to be the right shade of green too!

US $147.50 wow,that seems very high to me!!!

here is another M1 helmet with a odd woodland camo pattern cover that looks a little different than US and the liner also has those large non standard rivets like the Peruvian M1 ? seems to be a lot of these showing up on ebay recently? must be foreign surplus?

US Military Steel Pot Helmet with Liner 70's 80'S | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Peruvian M1 ?   Peruvian M1 ?  

found this photo of a Columbian soldier wearing an M1 helmet with woodland pattern cover, maybe the helmet could also be from Columbia?

?

Hi BG, I agree it would appear that these are beginning to become quite available on ebay, the cover looks very similar to one I own which is US issue, the inside is a grey coloured cloth!.

I would be keen to see the inside of the Columbian M1, I can't really tell but the chinstrap fastener looks slightly different than the standard US style.

Great reference pictures as ever, thanks.

Opex

JBR
    ?

As requested, here's some pics of my "Peruvian" M1:

Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?Peruvian M1 ?

Some observations:

Shell:

1. Welded repair to right rear stress crack (there is a lefthand crack forming, too). Recent eBay listing for a similar helmet also mentioned this feature but provided no photo.

2. Bright green paint roughly applied over a darker green. Cover and strap have left marks where they have been put on before the paint was completely dry and/or affected by heat, perhaps. No rank markings.

3. Can't find a heat number (could be under paint) or traces of red oxide primer - possibly not a US made shell? Peruvian army has used Israeli equipment incl helmets....

4. Strap hardware and webbing probably locally produced. Width of coarse weave webbing approx 16mm and, therefore, narrower than US version - but similar to OD No7 straps used on various US webbing items - and to straps on my Argentine M1.

Liner:

1. Nylon type with traces or original texture to outer surface.

2. Neck Strap Buckles have been crudely cut off leaving brass rivets behind. Simple, non-adjustable nylon webbing replaces (presumably) original adjustable cotton webbing US type.

3. Headband is (i think) artificial leather on a nylon webbing base - no markings.

4. Markings in crown are not familiar to me - see photo. Motif doesn't seem to be a Hebrew script character, just a circle with a line against it.............

5. Fits very comfortably into shell, even when cover is in place - see pics.

Cover and Band:

1. A US Woodland example by MPLS dated 1983. Rust and wear marks suggest this is original to helmet. Black coloured parts faded to grey in visible areas when fitted.

2. Band is 16mm corse weave webbing, non-elasticated but a tight, secure fit.

Best Regards to all.

?

Hi JBR.

I really like the look of this one, I would say it is a Peruvian M1, it has all the common and unique features of these nations M1's.

I note that the shell has had a stress fracture repair, so has mine, which makes me wonder if the damaged shells ,were sourced from the US?

The marking in the liner has me puzzled I must say, could be a locally produced item ??, but I really am not sure about this,hopefully someone here will be able to share some information on this.

Great looking piece, and pictures,clearly showing the features of these Peruvian models.

Regards ,Opex.

JBR
    ?

Thanks Opex. Good point about cracked shells - did they get them cheap? - are they just surplusing 3rd grade examples from their inventory? Best Regards,

?

Hi JBR.

I don't know ,but it would seem plausible for the Peruvian defence to source equipment cheaply, I don't know anything about the Peruvian economy,but I can only assume sourcing surplus M1's from the states would have been cheaper than buying in other suitable combat lids. I guess the states had gone over to the PASGT during this time frame ,so all those surplus M1's must have gone somewhere in bulk.

It does appear that these M1's are repaired and made useable though, mine has weird non-US bales attached and a big welded stress fracture more or less in the same place as yours.

I just wish I could give you more information on the mystery manufactured liner !

Regards,Opex.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast