Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please Help me ID this Helmet

Article about: Any suggestions on age/country of this helmet? PLEASE SEE PICS IN POST FURTHER DOWN!!! SORRY Thanks ryan

ryan
    ?

Default Please Help me ID this Helmet

Any suggestions on age/country of this helmet? PLEASE SEE PICS IN POST FURTHER DOWN!!! SORRY

Thanks

ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ryan; 05-06-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Please Help me ID this Helmet

Cannot open to view the pics.

Brian

ryan
    ?

Hope this works..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help me ID this Helmet   Please Help me ID this Helmet  

Please Help me ID this Helmet  

ryan
    ?

I think it may be Swedish?

Doesnt have a Swedish style liner that I have come across. Im stumped, hope someone can help

It is a Swedish M26. In the sixties or seventies new liner placed and destined for Civil Defense use.

Cheers,
    Emile

http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/suecia/sue26b.htm

ryan
    ?

Thanks!!!!!

?

Yup, it's a Swedish m/26 helmet. I think (although I'm not certain) that some of these were actually made with the new liner in the sixties. (The production of it continued long after the war even though the m/37 offered much better protection. Perhaps they don't think protection is as necessary for civil defence personell, there are several countries that issued thinner civil defence helmet, right?)
    If so it isn't necessarily a replaced liner.

What markings are there in the back? There should be a size and a post or pre '44 civil defence stamp or even perhaps even an army stamp.

A large majority of all m/26 helmets were for civil defence. The army didn't use it until 1940 when the need for helmets was desperate and the army purchased existing quantities and ordered new helmets. Prior to ww2 only the navy hade used it. The air force also used it, (painted black), I'd guess they adopted it during the war and not before.

After the war the army started getting rid of the m/26 and m/21 helmets to only use the much better (one of the best in the world) m/37 helmet. Many m/21 and m/26 were given to the home guard and they used them up to the seventies.

The m/26 was also used by Norway and Finland.