Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help Me Identify This Helmet

Article about: Hi Thanks for letting me Join you. Could anyone Identify this hemet for me. I dont seem to upload picture but there is an oval badge on the front could be bronze with what looks like a chine

wxs2005
    ?

Default Please Help Me Identify This Helmet

Hi
    Thanks for letting me Join you.

Could anyone Identify this hemet for me.

I dont seem to upload picture but there is an oval badge on the front could be bronze with what looks like a chinese lion ?rampant with a sword in one hand and arows in the other the lion has a crown on its head with a long tongue out.

Thanks
    Ron

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Please Help Me Identify This Helmet

A pic would really help here Ron, what shape is the actual helmet? ie, does it resemble american m1, tommy helmet, adrian, etc... Im sure some of the gents on here will be able to ID it correctly if you could rattle up a pic or some more detail of the shape, liner, colour etc...

Cheers
    Reg

wxs2005
    ?

Hi
    Looks a bit like this but it has the badge on the front I will try rebooting computer so I can try and upload Picture.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world...lmet-6839.html

Thanks
    Ron

Reg
    ?

Thanks Ron, that will help the guys along a bit, it may be a Danish helmet, but this is a long shot. Im sure the other forum members will have it cracked quite quickly if you can get that photo on. All the best.

Cheers
    Reg

Default Dutch / holland m28

sounds like you have the Dutch M28, does it look like this?

http://www.pottia.net/pottia/potat/155.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images Please Help Me Identify This Helmet  Please Help Me Identify This Helmet  Please Help Me Identify This Helmet  Please Help Me Identify This Helmet 

wxs2005
    ?

Hi battle gear
    Yes thats the one you have come up with the one that I have

what was throwing me was the lion looked chinese to me

Thanks

Ron

those are hard to find, highly valued by collectors.

nice helmets, I like the unique shape

Hello Ron,

Your helmet must indeed be a Dutch pre war helmet. But there are several models and versions. Most have a slit in the rear rim to fix the helmet to a strap or horse harness. The colour was mostly a dull clear olive green.

The M27 was introduced in 1927 as you would expect, later this was altered slightly and it became the M34. In 1936 the colonial army in the then Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia) adopted a still other version. This one is called the "KNIL helmet" (Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger = Royal Netherlands Indies Army). A bit smaller with a leather flap at the back as a means to protect one's neck from the sun. There was no slit in the rear. All of these helmets were originally produced with the rampant lion plate. Later many of these plates were removed.

These helmets, with or without plates, were used by the Civil Defence organisation during and after the war. The Navy and the Royal military police used the helmet till the end of the forties. The Civil Police used the helmet, in dull black, till the early seventies.

If you post a picture I can probably identify the helmet for you.

BTW The Romanians bought this model from the Dutch before the war and acquired considerable numbers during WW2. The helmet sported an egg-shaped plate depicting two intertwined letters C for King Carol. As from the seventies the Romanians adopted a helmet wich is the spitting image of the Dutch KNIL helmet.

Cheers,
    Emile

wxs2005
    ?

Hi, thanks for reply.

Yes, it does have the slit at the back. I have had this over 30 years. What would the going price be please?

Thanks

Ron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help Me Identify This Helmet   Please Help Me Identify This Helmet  

Please Help Me Identify This Helmet  

Hello Ron,

This is a model M34. It is a helmet that has been used by the Civil Defense.

These unissued helmet empty shell's, intended for replacement purposes, were on hand in the central military warehouse after the war.

The CD organisation added a liner in red leather as opposed to military black leather. The olive green was overpainted in CD grey. The green stripe signifies, as far as I know, use by medical services, i.e. strecher bearers. The white lettering indicates the city area where it served. I do not know the location. These helmets with the white lettering are not uncommon.

The price, in The Netherlands, would amount to about Euro 80,-.

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast