Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

quick question about post war british helmet

Article about: I hope someone can answer this, i purchased what i thought was post war camo mk5 turtle helmets with the donut style liner (judging from the poor pictures, but hey they were cheap!), both 19

Default quick question about post war british helmet

I hope someone can answer this, i purchased what i thought was post war camo mk5 turtle helmets with the donut style liner (judging from the poor pictures, but hey they were cheap!), both 1972 dated liners, the shells are an odity, they are not turtle shape, but are mk2 para style steel shells, but fitted with mk5 donut liners, attached using the nipple on the inside centre of the lid, has anyone come across these before? perhaps before the introcuction of the ballistic nylon para helmets first encountured during the falklands war? i have removed one of the liners to see if the shell has any markings, but all i could found was a soldiers name

it sounds like a mk11 RAC helmet fitted with the last issued liner the very same as found on the turtle helmet of the same period ,hope this helps

hi,
    yes many thanks, i beleive it is, i got the pair, both fitted with 1972 dated donut liners, one helmet has the "quick release" type chinstrap after researching, the other has the normal mk 5 chinstrap. amazing what you find out when doing the research will look good with my british post war collection, both are in amazing condiiton, il get some pics posted at the weekend, many thanks for your reply

Quote by James C View Post
    it sounds like a mk11 RAC helmet fitted with the last issued liner the very same as found on the turtle helmet of the same period ,hope this helps
    I would say they couldn't be anything else! The DR helmet had the same basic shell but the liner was totally different and made of leather very much like a '50s style m/c helmet.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

your welcome phil ,ill look forward to seeing your collection