Become our sponsor and display your banner here

"R"- marked East German Helmet

Article about: Hey mates some days ago i saw this helmet for sale ( 64 USD) at a fleamarked in Mexico City. It is obviously East German, no problem so far. But it has this most curious painting, which look

Default "R"- marked NVA East German "Regulierer" Helmet

Hey mates

some days ago i saw this helmet for sale ( 64 USD) at a fleamarked in Mexico City. It is obviously East German, no problem so far. But it has this most curious painting, which looks quite official.
    I like it, but before i go bargaining i wanna know what that helmet is..

It has a black "R" inside a yellow circle.. around the helmet (except for yhe yellow circle) goes a painted white band

Anyone has an idea what the markings mean?
    Experts... you knowledge is needed !!!

Cheers..
    Daniel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150607_135037-1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	849834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150607_135037.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	849833  

Last edited by danhashman; 06-10-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Got new information on the item.

any pics of the liner / inside of the helmet ?
    Looking for following WWII German items:
    - anything dealing with Allenstein (Olsztyn) and Wehrkreis I in East Prussia,
    - entrenching tool carrier (straight and folding),
    - forestry and hunting items,

Polish Militaria 1914-1945 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/124584324789966/
    GTA Militaria - Discussions and Sales - https://www.facebook.com/groups/890720157646923/

Could not take pics from the inside, as the salesguy did not allow it.. The Pics you see where taken in a quite clandestine way.

But i checked it well, it is the classic East German Design, with those sponges. The liner is the original one, but kinda dirty & mistreated.

Hello Danhashman,

This is an East German Model 1956 helmet. The R points to its use a helmet for a "Regulierer".

A traffic control officer of the NVA (Nationale Volksarmee = National Peoples Army).

These markings sometimes were printed or embroiderd on a helmet cover.

Nice helmet. Have a look inside. It might have the liner for a motorcyclyst installed.

Cheers,
    Emile

Great info... Thanks..
    iŽll try to get my claws on it, but iŽlll need a better price..

i serached the web with the provided info and found this picture. not the best quality but i believe it shows a Regulierer-Stahlhelm in use, guiding traffic, just as so kindly explained by the previous post

Vielen Dank..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verkehrsreglerin und NVA--Regulierer.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	849928  
    Last edited by danhashman; 06-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Cool

thats not a common helmet find with those original markings, I would go back and try to buy it too, that would be a nice find , the price seems reasonable, even better if you can get it cheaper

I like to buy the uncommon used helmets like this with some history / markings

I hope he still has the helmet, when you go back, sometimes when you go back to buy something it's already been sold, better hurry and go back soon!

?

I would pick it up at that price, unusual helmet with nice signs of wear.

judging by the photo the shell appears to be a size III [large] plus it has the exposed rivets, so you know the shell is one of the older models