Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reworked French Casque Modèle 1951 (but, what country’s camo cover?).

Article about: Greetings all, I obtained this helmet yesterday and wanted to ask fellow forum members about its camouflaged cover's origin. I’m familiar with most French camo patterns, but I am not familia

Default Reworked French Casque Modèle 1951 (but, what country’s camo cover?).

Greetings all,

I obtained this helmet yesterday and wanted to ask fellow forum members about its camouflaged cover's origin. I’m familiar with most French camo patterns, but I am not familiar with this particular one (any ideas?). Thank you, for your assistance/thoughts.

V/r Lance

Double Click on images to enlarge.

I don't know anything about camo covers, but I am interested in that chinstrap. What you seem to have here is a 1952-dated mle 51 shell that has had a rear chinstrap loop added, and a definately not-French chinstrap (that looks like a British HSAT chinstrap to me from this angle - or it could be the strap from a Belgian para helmet) fitted. This makes the helmet look, at first glance, like a mle 56 TAP (paratroop) model which it clearly isn't because of the date of the shell and the unusual chinstrap.

I keep looking at it, and referring to the WWH website and Hennequin's book, and I don't understand it. Is there something I am missing here? As far as I know - and I may well be completely wrong - the mle 51 shell was not converted to the mle 56 shell, but the 56 was a completely separated production. I really feel there ought to be an explanation but it is just out of reach!

Is there any possibility you can show us a close-up of that rear chinstrap loop? And the chinstrap itself. Maybe this is the way to get a clue as to the origin of the camo cover.

Of course I am very much hoping someone will jump up and point out the obvious and explain it all.

Greetings Greg,

I'll do some close up shots of the rear chinstrap's attachment in the AM tomorrow. Thank you, for your thoughts.

V/r Lance

Can i ask if the bails are fixed or swivel ? as for the camo pattern i haven't a clue but i would say it was a cover converted from a jacket hood judging by the visible stitch lines ,the innertube banding looks to have a double section hiding some protrusion ,could it be a press stud of some sort from the cover

The Chinstrap and 3 point configuration seems similar to israeli issue m1's

Greetings Gents,

I just snapped these images with my small (low-quality) home camera. The two top images shows the fixed bail nature of the rear bail (the white blob is the end/remnant of the elastic sewn material in the helmet cover’s rim). The lower picture is a side bail for comparison. I like the possible Israeli connection (James) as that seems a very possible entity to modify/reissue this older helmet. Thanks again, for your time and thoughts gents.

V/r Lance

James, the protrusion seems to be a tack or something like a tack used to hold the cover's rubber helmet band together whilst it was being taped. I cannot view what it is exactly as the center between the two white tape "cat eyes" is a black piece of tape covering the affair.

Cheers,

Lance

I did wonder whether there was an Israeli connection, given their enthusiasm for three-point harnesses and the fact that the chinstrap itself looks like a copy (?) of a British para. But I don't think it is, on second thoughts.

But there's something funny going on with those bails; a Dunois shell for 1952 should have fixed bails with the loop parallel to the side of the shell, not apparently bent inwards as yours are. This is quite strange. I feel we're missing something obvious here. I am inclined to think the bails are a replacement. There is a fair amount of difference between manufacturers in the detail of these helmets, but the basics of a Dunois 1952 seem quite clear.

Hello

Yes stange combibation
    The side bails looks ok. This is a transition period but fits with 52
    The rear bail is not done as for French "Gilles modification in 56 of for the Pre 58 modified TAP 56
    I also agree that it may have connection with Israel as France provide many equipement to this country and they mixed many french and British equipements
    Camo net is for sure not french
    Bruno