Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.

Article about: Just added this to my growing Warsaw Pact sectionwhich mainly consists of items that tended to make WP forces recognisable to the "Tom" on the ground as well as items that would do

Default Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.

Edit; I think I posted this in the wrong forum so I moved it here!

Just added this to my growing Warsaw Pact section which mainly consists of items that tended to make WP forces recognisable to the "Tom" on the ground as well as items that would do the same when seen in propaganda photos etc. So, I tend to pick up items of headwear, qualification badges and awards, daggers and bayonets etc so the steel helmets of the period are I suppose something of a must.

Here is a Romanian M73/80 steel hemet fitted with an enamelled brass badge for parade use. The helmet itself is a standard item and not a lightweight version as used by some countries and the badge is attached by two bent prongs inserted through two small drilled holes. It is not permanently fixed and could be removed in moments.

The liner is all leather with padding beneath it that seems to be a natural wool like material.
    The buckle on the nape strap and the chin strap assembly appear to be of material types probably taken up from commercial sources rather than specified for the military which I find a common characteristic of Warsaw Pact forces equipment. The slot in the rear skirt is to accommodate straps used to secure the helmet to the large pack in marching order. The stampings either side of the slot appear to be batch and date indicators.;

Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.Romanian M73/80 steel helmet with parade badge.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-02-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very Nice find Mark and looks superb with the frontal badge and plenty of ink acceptance stampings ,the shell looks to be manufacture dated 1984 and with my eyes the liner 85 ..Off hand i think my standard infantry example is also an 84 shell but would have to check and maybe post up the serial number etc for comparison if ok with you
    Regards James

Thanks James, yes the badge does "stick out" somewhat and is really what attracted me to this one and of course it could be removed in a moment without any tools other than a table knife at most. Also it is of heavy brass and hot enamel construction which seems common in the less sophisticated industrial infrastructures that didn't have the technology to use the "cheaper" lightweight aluminium items.

Please do feel free to add to the thread with pics for comparison. I definately believe this is what should happen in any thread for the benefit of other members looking to find out about an item.
    Certainly from my point of view if I post something I want to see comparisons. if I seek something out on the forum it is because I want to see as much as possible from as many different directions.
    If it is the same or a closely related item then it is fair game and the principle of "the more the merrier" applies. This is how we all learn I feel!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

G'day Mark, here's one I recently post on Mark K's thread that is the standard issue type. I note that yours is March '84 dated/batch no.134. Mines Jan '84/batch no.080. Relatively close batch numbers worth a comparison.

Figured to add this in

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    G'day Mark, here's one I recently post on Mark K's thread that is the standard issue type. I note that yours is March '84 dated/batch no.134. Mines Jan '84/batch no.080. Relatively close batch numbers worth a comparison.
    Thanks Rene, really good comparison

Regards

Mark

For what it's worth, here's an outside sunny Melbourne day shot. A not issued showing lots of movement.