Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA MK II helmet?

Article about: Hi all, my second thread here, gotta say that my experience so far has been complicated. However that is not the point, I need help on a lid that I am planning to buy. A SA MK 2 Brodie helme

?

Exclamation SA MK II helmet?

Hi all, my second thread here, gotta say that my experience so far has been complicated. However that is not the point, I need help on a lid that I am planning to buy. A SA MK 2 Brodie helmet, currently on bid for £16.50 with 2 and a quarter days to go. No liner is included however the shell is in fairly good condition also WW2 dated in side. Enjoy the only pics I have;

SA MK II helmet?
    SA MK II helmet?

I need some expert opinions on this helmet, cheapest lid I have ever seen in such condition, perhaps a SA helmet is quite a rare find on E-bay? The paint might be post-war however...

Genuine SA-made helmets are uncommon but not rare. And I mean complete with the original Jager-Rand liner (but never, never, with the almost never-seen neck protector installed). The one you show is almost certainly one of many (and I mean MANY) that were refurbished by the Greeks in the late 1940s, usually given a Greek-made liner - a copy of the British type - which is very distinctive for its aluminium cradle and light brown leathertte (or some sort of plasticated fibre anyway) liner leaves. They were also painted a shade of olive green, as is yours. I would feel pretty sure this is a Greek-rebuild lacking its liner, though indeed it is originally an SA shell. The Greek helmets aren;t rare either (though were more common a few years ago than now) and you might be better advised to keep a look out for an intact example, as well as for a complete SA helmet.

See .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark II :. and .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark II :. for a good selection of pictures.

?

Yep, appears almost fully Greek customised for that matter. Thanks for the post lad.

?

I decided not to by it so I bought this original instead:
    Genuine WW2 British Combat Helmet MK1 1939,complete with liner & chin strap. | eBay