Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets

Article about: Here 2 Kindom of Siam (Thailand) Adrian M23 and a M15/23 Helmets acquired in Bangkok in the 1980's

pjm
    ?

Default Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets

Here 2 Kindom of Siam (Thailand) Adrian M23 and a M15/23 Helmets acquired in Bangkok in the 1980's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets   Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets  

Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets   Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets  

Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets   Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets  

Default Re: Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets

Very nice Siamese Helmets....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I also have one of these and have a couple of questions:

How does one identify what model of Adrian it is?

Also, mine has lots of flecks of rust and I can't make out any paint; is there any method to cleaning it up a bit with a view to restoring it to it's former glory?

As a rough rule of thumb, if the helmet is multi part contruction it is WW1 era. Note the rim around the lower part where the skirt is fitted. Post World War One versions were one peice pressings.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice helmets!

Why do you call these helmets M23?

The French call this model the M26. I believe the M23 was a type in between the M15 (shell out of 4 pieces with a liner using a few bits of corrugated aluminium spacers) and the M26 a 2 piece helmet with a new liner fitted on 4 brackets, as in your Thai's.

The M23 used the new shell and the old liner. It does not have the 4 pairs of rivets you see on your Thai and the other French ones.

Cheers,
    Emile

Here is mine:

can anyone enlighten me as to what model/era it may be?

I only ask, because incredibly interestingly to me, during WW1 Royal Thai Army troops served on the Western Front, which is presumably when they adopted the Adrian like so many of the allies did initially.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets   Siam (Thailand) Adrian Helmets  

This looks like a Belgian M31.
    It is known that the Thai imported Belgian helmets. These are called M31 in Belgium and generally have a slightly flatter skirt than the French M26's.

Look it up at t Joseba's site. Indispensable! BELGA 26

Cheers,
    Emile

Does the "31" in the M31 refer to the date during which they were manufactured, i.e. 1931? Sadly my Spanish is non existant so was unable to read that site, though the pictures looked fascinating.

Here is the page translated into English:

Google Translate

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by BritishHelmetSeller View Post
    Does the "31" in the M31 refer to the date during which they were manufactured, i.e. 1931? Sadly my Spanish is non existant so was unable to read that site, though the pictures looked fascinating.
    The 31 stands for the year this type of helmet was accepted as standard by the Ministry of Defence. The production ran on for many more years.

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast