Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Helmut

Article about: Watching the auctions tick over down here, how does the accompanying description stack up for this? .... cheers Great example of the infamous Germanish helmet NOT made for Spain by Germany,

?

Default Spanish Helmut

Watching the auctions tick over down here, how does the accompanying description stack up for this? .... cheers

Great example of the "infamous "Germanish helmet"

NOT "made for Spain by Germany, made on equipment imported from Germany for the Spanish Civil War" and NEVER picked up off a dead German by anyones Grandfather" or any other such rubbish.

Spain made their own helmets beginning in the mid 1950's, obviously inspired by the helmets used by the Germans stationed in Spain pre WW2. German helmets were indeed filtered into Spain in limited numbers during the Spanish Civil War. This style helmet was first produced in the 1950's, and were still used by Spanish army reserves up until the 1980's, along with refitted original German helmets.

Includes the original 2" badge, this is the correct badge (not a beret badge) represents the Spanish Nationalist (who eventually won the Civil War under Franco), the cross represents the strong historical catholic history of the Spanish Nationalists. This badge was generally only ever worn on parade.

A very nice helmet is it's own right without being turned into a silly "poor mans German helmet" by being covered in German decals.
    Spanish HelmutSpanish HelmutSpanish Helmut

?

Default Re: Spanish Helmut

Pretty accurate, the Germans sent an initial batch of German helmets to them, then suspended the contract, so spain developed their own version..I believe they made these during the war

from the m21 to the m65 i think all these helmets were made in spain. the m65 is same shape as a US m1. this helmet is the model z or m42 but these helmets where used up till 79 with this being modifide post war with new liner. i think

?

This is the last version of the Modello Z (M42), with updated liner. The older (and wartime) versions would have had 3 leather pads, similar to German WWI Liners.

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    This is the last version of the Modello Z (M42), with updated liner. The older (and wartime) versions would have had 3 leather pads, similar to German WWI Liners.
    My thoughts precisely.
    Looks like a nice late example.

Brad.

A completely accurate, and for once honest and quite entertaining ebay writeup. The only thing he missed was the dating - this is the later version as Nitram says, but it is the 1979 version, when either new production or old stock was given new liners. The original with the three-pad leather liner came into service from 1942/43. The helmet remained in service for a long time, into the 1990s idefinately (I know a Spanish helmetcollector who wore one on his Army service) and may yet still be used as reserve stock.
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 02-21-2013 at 09:19 PM.

?

Thanks all

A completely accurate, and for once honest and quite entertaining ebay writeup.
    Quite possibly the guy has had it on E-Bay also,.. although this ( the Spanish helmut) is off the NZ Trade-Me site, there are certainly some "odd" items that pop up

Spanish Helmut

Not unusual to see hemets made into scoops, shovels, etc.........

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...ehaube-270878/
    Regards,

Steve.