Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spanish Modello "Z" 42

Article about: Recently I picked up a Modello Z helmet, leather liner, post war unissued,or so I'm told. Leather is in too good condition to be from the war, and certainly looks unissued. I am curious as t

?

Default Spanish Modello "Z" 42

Recently I picked up a Modello Z helmet, leather liner, post war unissued,or so I'm told. Leather is in too good condition to be from the war, and certainly looks unissued.

I am curious as to this strange texture on the helmet's exterior:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0270.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	294035

Name:	Image0271.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	294034

On the interior, there's a similar texture but much finer.

Is this a result of Spain using lower quality metals for production, or does it mean that the helmet has deteriorated and was refurbished?

I'll provide photos of the whole helmet when my camera's battery charges.

Cheers,
    Nitram

Default Re: Spanish Modello "Z" 42

Looks to me like some pitting and paint over paint. I would say its been refurbished at some point to be sold.

?

Here's some more pictures. Sorry for the light.

Name:	CIMG4424.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	294067

Name:	CIMG4422.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	294066

Name:	CIMG4429.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	294063

Name:	CIMG4421.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	294064

Name:	CIMG4426.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	294065

It's worth noting that the air vents on one side line up with the rivets, but they don't on the other side.

EDIT - I'm about 80% sure the leather is refurb.

Nitram
    Last edited by Nitram; 01-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.

nitram i have an exact same modelloz helmet i believe the finish to be original its kind of like streaky lines and pitting also mine has liner rivits fitted in an unsymmetrical way i was also led to believe that this leather liner was of ww2 design and nitram it is period to this helmet as to the age i havent got a clue as theres no stamps or markings on mine mine is also very lightweight ,i am as baffled as you hope somebody out there can shed more lightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1362.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	294206

Certainly repainted.
    Maybe to hide the new rivets or to make the lid look new..

Gr. Theo.

i can only describe the paint finish of that compared to a plastic type coating the insignia mount and rivits appear to be brass or copper

?

I can confirm that there's no markings whatsoever. Which, according to this is normal: Mannie Gentile: Combat Helmets of the 20th Century: Spanish M.42 "Modello Z" steel helmet
    "Typical of Spanish helmets, this one bears no manufacturer's marks, batch numbers, inspection stamps, or other process marks of any sort."

And other source of info I've found is this: ESPAŅOL Z 42

Some more observations:
    There's felt (quite deteriorated) under the leather pads of the liner.
    The air vents are stamped crudely, from the inside there is rough/sharp edges) however there is a 'cover' on the outside.
    Mine is also extremely light compared to a Belgian M1 or a Vz53. Hope that info helped in some way.

Love the way yours is displayed.

Nitram

thank you nitram i picked up a ww2 spanish drager blanco gasmask and francoist eagle insignia to finish off the display i think the last link looks more like our helmets i would love to read this link in english as i can only look at the pics

?

Thankfully Google has a crude way to fix that (if you can put up with bad/confusing grammar): Google Translate

Since you mentioned the rivets, they do appear brass or copper, from what little bits are exposed. I'll try to get some macro photos in natural light to get the texture of the paint best I can.
    It almost looks like the metal stretched as it was being pressed (not that I know what that would look like, but that's what I imagine it would be like.)

Nitram

?

Definate repaints on the helmets, the leather liner appears refurbished, the stryations under the paint is caused by deterioration of old paint being covered by new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast