Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

steel helmet id please

Article about: by Blackpowder44 Sub standard helmets have three holes drilled into the rim in a triangular formation. John Bugger, that's it, i remember now, told you I knew nothing

Default steel helmet id please

hi guys,
    iv had this helmet for years, think this came from an elderly women who lived in my village when i was a young lad. just found it again in my parents attic. markings are.... c.s and w ltd t. 1939. the colours are brown rim with a black centre, any ideas if this is original colours? theres ss sprayed inside of the lid, was this some auxillary unit lid? many thanks, paul

Default Re: steel helmet id please

Can't see any pictures???

these are the pics, sorry!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture steel helmet id please   steel helmet id please  

steel helmet id please   steel helmet id please  

steel helmet id please  

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    sounds a tommy lid
    you clever old (young....ish) fella

Sorry, thought Phil would have chipped in straight away

I'm not into British stuff, But it look like a real British standard issue lid, If its painted black on the top (rest worn off?? perhaps) then i would guess it was for an auxiliary unit (Fire? or something like that, any traces of white paint to the front? and the brown is rust I guess, can't remember what the letters were on the side if it was a sub standard lid, but I there may be traces underneath on the edge somewhere

Sub-standards were usually given out to Air raid, fir police ect.......I think.......................... but someone here will know exactly.

Where's Ade when you need him

Hi Paul, I cannot really tell you anymore than you already know. The helmet is indeed a WW2 British MkII.

The paint looks original but I am at a loss to explain why it has been painted black just to the dome?

The "SS" I think might just be the owners initials. I don't know of any other markings they could be.

Here is a good site, although in Spanish, it is farly easy to understand. Plus you can put it through an online translator if need be:

INGLÉS MK2

Cheers, Ade.

thanks guys for your help, the ss mark is kinda baffling, its not like a painted on initials, more like a stencel spraypaint finish. il check out the site ade, paint does look old and origional, jmb mentioned the ss could mean sub standard. paint underneath is green and on the rim its definatly painted brown.

[QUOTE=gibba1008;46248]thanks guys for your help, the ss mark is kinda baffling, its not like a painted on initials, more like a stencel spraypaint finish. il check out the site ade, paint does look old and origional, jmb mentioned the ss could mean sub standard. paint underneath is green and on the rim its definatly painted brown.[/QUOT

Sub standard helmets have three holes drilled into the rim in a triangular formation. John

The substandard i was refering to has some letters stamped into the metal near the chip strap clip, not inside the lid. SS Could mean anything except Schutzstaffel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast