Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swedish M-26

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors. Here is my one and only Swedish Helmet,which I thought you might like to see. This example has no signs of ever having had a national decal on the side of the shell, an

?

Default Swedish M-26

Hi Fellow Collectors.

Here is my one and only Swedish Helmet,which I thought you might like to see.

This example has no signs of ever having had a national decal on the side of the shell, and has no makers marks I can make out. I think what I find most surprising is the condition, which I could only describe as only ever having had some very light usage.

The leather and horse hair padding is in remarkable condition for the age of this Helmet, otherwise there is nothing remarkable about it.

I hope you enjoy looking at it.

Regards

Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26

Brilliant condition!....

?

Thanks Gunny, yes this one is practically un-issued.

The one thing that has always struck me as being odd, is the "non -tactical" super shiny chrome buckle, this must have given many a Swedish soldier away in the field.??

Thanks for looking,much appreciated.

?

Update to this thread.

Here is the above helmet with the Swedish M-60 cover fitted, I have also provided an excellent link giving more information regarding the covers usage,which makes interesting reading,many thanks for looking,regards Opex

Swedish helmet covers

Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26
    Swedish M-26

Period picture of the cover in use in 1960
    Swedish M-26

Pardon me for saying this (and I say it as someone with something of an interest in Swedish helmets) but I have always thought the M26, its shell anyway, is perhaps the dullest most uninteresting and possibly actually unattractive of any helmet. Its just an undifferentiated blob. Is that descriptive enough? The M21 is a miracle of almost architectural curvilinear design by comparison, and the M37 has a subtle simplicity that is in its way quite beautiful.

I should also say that an M26 - in just as good condition (I guess very many indeed were made and most of them ended up in the Civil Defence stores) - was one of the first helmets I ever got, long long back sometime in the middle 1960s, bought by mail through an advert in the Exchange and Mart (which for younger readers was a sort of weekly Ebay on newsprint). In fact I bought five, a British Mk4, an Italian M33, French Adrian M26, the Swede, and a British paratroop helmet which cost me a fiver and for which I have since been offered quite startling sums (no, I'm not selling it). Its fascinating to know that I remember the helmets so well (actually not really as I still have them) but I have no idea whatseoever how come I, then in my mid-teens, had the money to buy them. No memory whatsoever.

That was, unfortunately, the end of my first phase of being a helmet fan, and I didn't start again until the late 1990s. Having missed out on getting all the good stuff cheap, probably, but anyway I was wasting all my money on books and records and drink instead.

Back to the helmets - I have a set of the three sizes of the M26 now, and that explains why I always thought Swedish soldiers must have small heads, as my original purchase was the smallest size. There are also a variety of different liner systems for this one, just as for the M37. Collect the set!

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Pardon me for saying this (and I say it as someone with something of an interest in Swedish helmets) but I have always thought the M26, its shell anyway, is perhaps the dullest most uninteresting and possibly actually unattractive of any helmet. Its just an undifferentiated blob. Is that descriptive enough? The M21 is a miracle of almost architectural curvilinear design by comparison, and the M37 has a subtle simplicity that is in its way quite beautiful.

I should also say that an M26 - in just as good condition (I guess very many indeed were made and most of them ended up in the Civil Defence stores) - was one of the first helmets I ever got, long long back sometime in the middle 1960s, bought by mail through an advert in the Exchange and Mart (which for younger readers was a sort of weekly Ebay on newsprint). In fact I bought five, a British Mk4, an Italian M33, French Adrian M26, the Swede, and a British paratroop helmet which cost me a fiver and for which I have since been offered quite startling sums (no, I'm not selling it). Its fascinating to know that I remember the helmets so well (actually not really as I still have them) but I have no idea whatseoever how come I, then in my mid-teens, had the money to buy them. No memory whatsoever.

That was, unfortunately, the end of my first phase of being a helmet fan, and I didn't start again until the late 1990s. Having missed out on getting all the good stuff cheap, probably, but anyway I was wasting all my money on books and records and drink instead.

Back to the helmets - I have a set of the three sizes of the M26 now, and that explains why I always thought Swedish soldiers must have small heads, as my original purchase was the smallest size. There are also a variety of different liner systems for this one, just as for the M37. Collect the set!

Hi Greg, I totally agree with your comments about the shape etc, like yourself I bought this years ago and I am convinced it is the cheapest helmet I have bought to date. I actually bought the cover as a result of being inspired by a recent thread posted up by James. Swedish Helmets are not my interest and in fact I only own the one, the cover is a very odd design and makes the Helmet slightly more interesting I guess.

However as you know the quality of the steel and leather-work is outstanding. This example has no markings or stamps so I have been unable to establish it's size etc, but when I tried it on with the cover attached it looked comical and led to my wife being somewhat bemused by it's baseball cap/deer stalker hybrid looks...I aim to please.

Regards Opex

It is an interesting design. It is neither ugly, nor pretty... It is simply uninspiring. I own a version of all the Swedish pre- ww2 helmet version (well, most of the anyway - the ones I can afford) and the design of the M.26 is just uninteresting. It doesn't invoke any feelings. At all.

I once had one that I used for experimenting weathering and distressing it to make a Hollywood prop of a WWII Japanese helmet

I like the military flat grey finish

?

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    It is an interesting design. It is neither ugly, nor pretty... It is simply uninspiring. I own a version of all the Swedish pre- ww2 helmet version (well, most of the anyway - the ones I can afford) and the design of the M.26 is just uninteresting. It doesn't invoke any feelings. At all.

Thank you for commenting and very well said, it is an uninspiring shape sadly. As before the fantastic quality leather work makes up for it's shortcomings

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I once had one that I used for experimenting weathering and distressing it to make a Hollywood prop of a WWII Japanese helmet

I like the military flat grey finish

Thanks for commenting BG, I have often seen these re-worked to look like Japanese combat helmets, and good point I never really considered the flat grey finish on the shell. I am still rather bemused by the chrome buckle which would have been a massive issue in the field

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast