Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss Helmet - WW2?

Article about: I purchased this today at the gun show at Knob Creek (Kentucky, USA) Military Gun Show and Machine Gun Shoot. The seller says its Swiss, WW2. There are no markings inside that I can find - i

Default Swiss Helmet - WW2?

I purchased this today at the gun show at Knob Creek (Kentucky, USA) Military Gun Show and Machine Gun Shoot. The seller says its Swiss, WW2. There are no markings inside that I can find - is it really WW2 or, as I think because the liner looks in really good condition - it doesn't look 65+ years old - is it postwar?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss Helmet - WW2?   Swiss Helmet - WW2?  

Default Re: Swiss Helmet - WW2?

Roger, its Swiss, I believe they were worn from the early to late 20th century. Any stampings on the helmet or liner? John

John, there are no stampings or any other markings on the helmet or liner that I can see. There are 3 pockets behind the leather fingers with felt pads in them, but no markings. It simply looks too new to be WW2 era to me, though. Still and yet, I got it as it's a nice looking lid and I am not restricting my helmet collection to WW2 anyway. Got a nice new Danish helmet at the same show. These are cheap enough that maybe my grandchildren can profit from them. Or, if we get to TEOTWAWKI, my family will have head protection!

Roger, this is indeed Swiss. People have mistaken them for German lids because
    they are not familiar with helmets in general, and there is a slight resemblance.
    I think they were surplused fairly recently and are of the 1950's/60's era.

These are patterned after an earlier type which was developed in WWI - 1918
    to 1940 - your model is the 1940/1966 version. I bought one a couple
    of years ago too because I thought it was interesting, well designed
    and also inexpensive.

There is another Swiss helmet developed in 1971 that is smaller and lacks
    the flared rim. Some call it a 'Paratrooper' model, similar in style to the
    WWII German Falschirmjager helmet, but it is simply a redesign
    of the first types............
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-09-2011 at 02:53 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

this helmet is a postwar made model 18.

yes it is a modern helmet... i´m swiss and mi father used to use exactly the same helmet during his army days during the 80´s. Black with a raw surface. My grandfather who served at the german border during WW II had one tha looked quite the same, but was "greygreen" in color, matching with his fieldgrey uniform. still a very cool helmet, a must in any serious collection.

the open ring liner in your helmet came out in the mid 1950's , so your helmet would definitely be post WWII

the Swiss didnt use the open ring type liner during WWII

Hey Roger9344

i just posted a swiss helmet at this forum, maybe you want to take a look at it - for comparative purposes..

best regards... danhashman