Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SYRIAN soldier with unknown eastern european style helmet with leather Y straps

Article about: this Syrian soldier / police appears to be wearing a Russian Ssh40 / 41 with leather Y straps / chin straps? photo was taken back in 1991 Desert Storm era what model helmet do you think he's

Default East German mfg Model 605

I would like to have one of these rare DDR model 605 Export helmets, most were probably sold to Syria and Africa.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-02_091002.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	968174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-02_090922.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	968175  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-12_130938.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	968179  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Greg, BG, thanks for the replies. I wonder if most of these are DDR yard sale more than an export model, eventually they will make their way to the collectors market I'm sure.

I would be willing to bet these were made up in test quantities only. Once the design was found to be no improvement over the existing model they were designated as export items and quickly shipped off to politically suitable countries. Considering the *huge* number of other Warsaw Pact helmets exported to various countries, especially Polish and Russian, the DDR M-605 is a rare bird indeed. The DDR wasn't really in the Helmet/equipment business, they were in the gun business, and they exported a LOT of Kalashnikov rifles, and EG AKs are still a common find in the middle east. East German helmets were very rare in the west before the wall came down, but Polish and Russian helmets were fairly easy to get, having been exported worldwide for decades before that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12