Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SYRIAN soldier with unknown eastern european style helmet with leather Y straps

Article about: this Syrian soldier / police appears to be wearing a Russian Ssh40 / 41 with leather Y straps / chin straps? photo was taken back in 1991 Desert Storm era what model helmet do you think he's

Default SYRIAN soldier with unknown eastern european style helmet with leather Y straps

this Syrian soldier / police appears to be wearing a Russian Ssh40 / 41 with leather Y straps / chin straps? photo was taken back in 1991 Desert Storm era

what model helmet do you think he's wearing? since it has a net and has been painted red, it's hard to see the profile, but I think it's probably Russian, or could be some other model with modified straps added?

?

Default Re: SYRIAN soldier with unknown eastern european style helmet with leather Y straps

hello!
    i think its a gdr m-82 (gerät 605) steel export helmet.
    page 178 elmetti helmets (paolo marzetti)
    greets lir2

Default Re: SYRIAN soldier with unknown eastern european style helmet with leather Y straps

Quote by lir2 View Post
    hello!
    i think its a gdr m-82 (gerät 605) steel export helmet.
    page 178 elmetti helmets (paolo marzetti)
    greets lir2
    hello, I never heard of that model? do you have a better picture so I can see what it looks like?

I have seen this picture before and I think it is a Czech M32 helmet. Possibly modified with a GDR three point chinstrap. The completely straight rim makes this, most likely, a CZ M32.

Cheers,
    Emile

Two Syrian military policemen stand next to a civilian in al-Hassaka city some 800 km (497 miles) northwest of the capital of Damascus near the border with Iraq and Turkey March 15, 2004

Those helmets look like a Sh40 variant.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Those helmets look like a Sh40 variant.
    maybe the Syrian soldier in the first photo has the same type of helmet ? [Ssh40 varient] but the shell looks extra large on his head, maybe thats why it looks a little different because he has a extra big size 3 shell

Hi battlegear,

The rim on the helmet in the first pic has a distinct straight rim. If you would putb this lid down on a table the entire rim would be level.

If you look closely a a Ssh40 the rims shows a certain ondulation. On a table it would woble.

The CZ32 has a very unique shape, it is completely regular in shape. Front and rear are equal.

Have a look at Joseba's site, this might clear things up.

CHECO 32

Cheers,
    Emile

?

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it when I saw this photo of Syrian soldiers and didn't recognize the helmet.

Following that and lir2's M82, 605 response I came across this image.

Interesting I have not seen any other reference to this helmet before, does anyone have on of these in their collection?
    Steve.

Very little is known about the DDR's model 605. It is written up - a bit - a Baer, but even so not much really comprehesnive information. The general idea is that it was developed as an improvement on the M56, but proved to be no real improvement at all, and was redesignated an 'export only' item, which is why they show up in a variety of unusual places. But even so not that many were exported, and not that long afterwards a *lot* of M56s became available for export, so that was that then. It is a genuinely rare helmet in the sense that few - very few - collectors have one. Hardly ever come up for sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast