Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Thale helmet prototype question

Article about: I looking for information/pictures regarding the Thale helmet prototype. I also read the east german helmet Gerät 605 was based on the Thale helmet, is this true? The 605 Helmet seems to be

?

Default Thale helmet prototype question

I looking for information/pictures regarding the Thale helmet prototype.
    I also read the east german helmet Gerät 605 was based on the Thale helmet, is this true?
    The 605 Helmet seems to be similar to the polish wz67.

?

Which Thale prototype do you mean? Eisen-Hüttenwerk AG in Thale was the go-to firm for helmet development from the very first run of the M16 through to pre-production M56s. The Gerät 605 dates from the late 70s/early 80s when ET's helmet-making days were long past. It was an attempt by the DDR to develop a new design to replace the M56/76 (also designated the "Gerät 604"). After extensive testing the Gerät 605 was found to offer no improvement over the existing M76 and the project was discontinued. A few however exported to "fraternal countries" in and some have recently be seen Syria. However it's a very rare helmet in the civilized world.Thale helmet prototype question

Roger

?

I mean the Thale prototype (not A, BII, B or C). The Thale factory developed their own prototype, which was similar to the B helmet, but more compact and intended for paratroopers and tank crews (I might be wrong here). The east german military adopted the BII prototype as their helmet, but I have read that the Gerät 605 was based on the Thale helmet.

To me it seems the 605 has an advantage over the M56. Its more compact. To bad the helmet wasnt produced in big quantities. Would love get one

?

Thale helmet prototype question

It has been a while since I have braved the late Ludwig Baer's rather dense prose, but yes, on page 357 of his Vom Stahlhelm zum Gefechtshelm Band I Baer does illustrate the above prototype. It was developed by Thale at the same time the company was producing trial batches of 50 each of the B and B/II helmets developed by Drs. Frey and Hänsel. It was more compact than the B/II (266x231x132mm compared to the B/II's 298x277x146) and because of this was it was suggested that it might also be suitable for use by tank commanders Fallschirmjäger and naval gun crews. (Baer I page 340)

As you can see it bears no resemblance to the Gerät 605, which frankly looks too bulky for use either in a tank or by a para.
    Roger

?

I do think it is similar to the Thale helmet.
    Of course they changed it a little bit in order to look more soviet. I read they wanted the helmet be adopted as the standard Warsaw pact helmet.

Here are some pictures of the East German helmet:
    can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...aps-syrian.jpg

This is also an reconstruction of the Thale helmet (but I am not sure how accurate it is):
    http://www.militariarg.com/uploads/4...002_1_orig.jpg