Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unidentified Brodie Helmet?

Article about: hmm a lot ruled out but now there aren't many ideas left im with you that it is a small countrys helmet maybe from the 50s which is why no-one knows about it or it could be a reanactent helm

Default Re: Unidentified Brodie Helmet?

hmm a lot ruled out but now there aren't many ideas left im with you that it is a small countrys helmet maybe from the 50s which is why no-one knows about it or it could be a reanactent helmet to give the owner more comfort when running around as no-one is going to see the liner

tom

I agree on the reinactment thing Tom, maybe next I should look into the companies that make these for reinactores, there are a couple here in the states I know. That pop rivit on the top sure throws things off though, it would be so much easier to put a nut and bolt in and make it look more correct. The rivit makes me think more assembly line kinda deal, from some small country that just isn't putting much thought into it's helmet. I'll keep looking.

Well then, I've certainly seen this helmet before, and have a couple of poorly-labelled pictures of it - or to be precise, its brethren - in my files. The best I can do is cite Marzetti's ELMETTI, in which one is shown with the description of "Commercial version of the M1917A1 made of light steel with various types of liners", which would explain its light weight when compared to a more usual 'Brodie' type (I use the description loosely of course) and its unusual liner.

I've spent an annoying hour or so websearching but I can't come up with anything much more informative. But we can I think reasonably infer that this thing was made after 1932 (when the M1917A1 was introduced) and was used by...well, who knows, perhaps the various governmental agencies mentioned in previous postings in this thread.

Take a look here - USA DC - and you will see a helmet with a similar sort of unclosed doughnut-ring liner, used by a US Police force.

OK, not an conclusive identification in that we don't really have a absolute date or maker, but we do have a country - we're in the game!

greg that looks a bit like it but russ's helmet is in better condition

tom

I'm not entirely with you here - what's the condition got to do with it? Anyway, none of the helmets I pointed to on that page of El Jefe's website is *identical* (though the picture in Marzetti *is*) but does show the same quite distinctive liner ring. (I should have said that you need to scroll down to the bottom of USA DC).

A reasonable interpretation of the clues indicates that it is indeed a US-made commercial variant of the M1917A. Of course I am always happy to be proved wrong! All knowledge is good.

Having concluded that the thing is American, and perhaps fairly common (I knew I'd seen it more than once or twice in recent times) I thought it would be worthwhile checking to see whether there is one on eBay at the moment. This was rather frustrating until I realised that in the USA they spell 'defence' as 'defense'...and then it was like curtains opening on a true enlightenment. OK, I exaggerate, I could find only one that is identical (barring the pain job...and perhaps the *condition*...) to the original point of query. but it's quant suff.

See this ebay object - WW2 WWII US Civil Defense Helmet | eBay - which is a wonderful thing as we don't even have to wonder whether or not the seller knows what he's talking about (I'm sure you know the feeling) as there we are on the front, a nice universal CD emblem. Job done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BbV4isg!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEq)OO+!TqBKvmS3giyw~~_3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	247893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BbV31kQBWk~$(KGrHqMH-CMEqt2V40FVBKvmQfipig~~_3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	247894

here are the photos for future reference, now that we know it's a US made variation of a Civil Defense helmet

Oh, good, that, including the pics. I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. Only just started posting here just recently. I did try an experimental photo somewhere but it vanished into the ether. Last night I found a How-To by Adrian so I will apply my fading intellect to that (60 next month, never thought I'd live so long).

WOW...I Need to go out of town more often, gon a day and mystery solved, thanks Greg!!!!

Hard to belive that these are so poorly documented, being a US CD helmet and all, but then again, you can't even find any real info on the OCD lides either. All I have seen indicated that US CD helmets, that preceeded the OCD design, were all re-worked M1917's, not once have I seen anything indicating a clone shell stammped out.

Again, much thanks to all, we know what we have now and I will well document it. I sure do like that blue CD lid on eBay, I've seen that one before, seller's having having too much luck getting rid of it.

Russ

im glad that you've found out what helmet this is are you thinking of restoring it to formor glory with a cd decal on the front or just it as it is

tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast