Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown European (?) Composites

Article about: What we have here are a couple of probably European compos that I acquired from a Belgian dealer in 2011. They have some characteristics of being test or experimental helmets, but really I k

Default Unknown European (?) Composites

What we have here are a couple of probably European compos that I acquired from a Belgian dealer in 2011. They have some characteristics of being test or experimental helmets, but really I know nothing about them. The dealer only knew that they were part of a militaria collection he had bought for resale.

There are no markings of any useful kind in either, though both have a large letter on the front done in marker pen ('C' and 'B' respectively).

The second one is remarkable in having an unusual chinstrap catch which is also double-ended (ie two catches, one on left and on right).

I am simply guessing that these are European products for a European end-user because of the colout of the shells.

NB - the two shells are not in fact identical.

Any ideas?

Greg Pickersgill

Unknown European (?) CompositesUnknown European (?) Composites
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 02-09-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Unknown European (?) Composites

Helmet B (how convenient they are labelled ) is a PASGT helmet, M88 is the designation I believe, US origin. Liner system I don't recognise but the Yanks sold these to many nations.

Definately not a US PASGT. I can understand why you might think so, but then so many of these composite helmets look superficially similar. The actual contours of a PASGT are quite different, and the PASGT shell is rather thicker than that of Mystery Helmet B. If we're looking for a lookalike I'd have been more inclined to go with a French Spectra F2, but then it isn't that either.

The PASGT is indeed in service with many nations, but are there many - any? - instances where the liner is significantly customised for local use? I have always understood it as being a strictly off-the-shelf export or military aid item. Could be wrong, let me know, all knowledge is good. (OK, I know some Israeli-used examples have been refitted with local chinstrap rigs.)

?

They look like Slovak army VEPLAS and Czech army Petris helmets. The 2nd one is almost certainly a Petris helmet.

EDIT: German Schuberth helmets are also similar to the Petris helmets. I don't know the differences.

Nitram

Definately not a Petris unless there is a new model I don't know about. The Petris I know (the 3001) is extremely similar (perhaps even functionally identical except for the chinstrap catch) to the Schuberth 826, although it is made in the Czech Republic. If you take a look at Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets CZECH helmet, Kevlar helmetcomposite helmets index you will see what I mean. neither of these Mystery Helmets resemble the 826 in any substantial way. And neither are any VePlas model I know of either.

Greg P

More pictures of these mystery helmets at composite helmets index

I defer to your experience mate, I'm far more familiar with WW2 or earlier lids