Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland

Article about: Hello, I'm new to this forum. Yesterday I bought a helmet in Switzerland, it has a name in it and a serial number. It looks like an M35 german helmet but without 4 air vents, only 2 at the b

?

Default Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Yesterday I bought a helmet in Switzerland, it has a name in it and a serial number. It looks like an M35 german helmet but without 4 air vents, only 2 at the back of the helmet. I can show pictures when I get to my laptop, can you maybe identify it ?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland   Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland  

Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland   Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland  

Default Re: Unknown helmet, bought in Switzerland

As you bought it is Switzerland, incredibly it is Swiss

I think this is the M18-40 model.

And welcome to the forum!

?

Oh, I found it now on google ) Sorry, this is my first helmet Also I have a blade something like german officers had in ww2 , it has a logo something like VATRO its like VA7RO , near the bracket...

Don't worry mate, nice to see somebody just starting in collecting Pics of the dagger / knife would be good, but best to make a new thread for it rather than adding them here.

Cheers
    Andy

Hi xTin,
    Nice find and welcome to the forum please show your blade ect.
    Dave.

Lots of surplus Swiss helmets floating around these days.
    Please do show the blade as well.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    As you bought it is Switzerland, incredibly it is Swiss

I think this is the M18-40 model.

And welcome to the forum!
    Yup.....as Swiss as Cheese but it's a M1918/66 not /40 (some sources say /63)

yes russ you are correct the m1940 the post war black anti glare surface finish gives it away ,ive never owned one myself apart from the obvious influence i often compare the iraqi fedayeen helmet to this design ,regards james

Quote by col james View Post
    yes russ you are correct the m1940 the post war black anti glare surface finish gives it away ,ive never owned one myself apart from the obvious influence i often compare the iraqi fedayeen helmet to this design ,regards james
    Hey James, Although most do not consider these helmets collectable, I think they make a good addition to anyonese helmet shelf. We have two of them, an early M1918 and an M1918/40 Our M1918 was not spared from the black matt repaint that most got in the early 1940s, the original helmets were actually a shade of OD.

THes helmet shown in this thread is the latest model that came out in the 1960s. It differs from the /40 by how the liner pad adjusting string is secured. The /40 has two eyelets in each pad, to pass the string through. The /66 (or /63 depending on who you ask) has a sewn over flap in the leather that the string passes through. We'll stumble upon one real cheep, one of these days, and pick it up just so we can have an example of each.

Russ

these Swiss helmets are very nice quality, I have one in my collection with camo cover

these were used all the way into the 1970's - 80's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast