Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?

Article about: Description UNUSUAL AMERICAN M1 STEEL HELMET CHOCOLATE CHIP CAMOUFLAGE COVER, EXPORT CONTRACT? Unissued condition and unmarked but quality manufacture so made by the US for a foreign friendl

JBR
    ?

This one's on eBay at the moment: US Choc Chip Camouflage M1 Helmet cover New Gulf War era | eBay

Best Regards,

great ebay find jbr ,it looks like these are made from 4 pieces of material , my example is made of 2 pieces ,cheers james

JBR
    ?

I think that's just a crease, rather than a seam James. If you look at the crown area in the photo you can see the usual 2 part shape seaming arrangement. If it is a 4 part cover, 'though, it may be Dutch. I have a 2 part type without markings that I bought at the War & Peace Show a couple of years ago. It was £3 from a surplus seller who was selling mainly European stuff - webbing etc. I think one of the Arabian peninsular states is a good bet but I still haven't found any photographic evidence. But I keep looking! Best Regards, John

JBR
    ?

Further to above............ I have just taken a look at Brendon's Helmets on another subject but spotted his Saudi M51 - which has a cover attributed to the Saudi Marines and different, in colour at least, from the eBay example but it seems to have an extra seam running from the crown shaping seam arrangement almost to the rim area. It still looks, to me, like a 2 part cover but has extra shaping seams. If I'm right, this may be evidence towards a Saudi attribution for the eBay cover. I'm off now to check my example. So, I think you were right to see a seam James afterall! Best Regards,

PS: On closer inspection of Brendon's photo, it could be a fold rather than a seam.

?

Quote by JBR View Post
    This one's on eBay at the moment: US Choc Chip Camouflage M1 Helmet cover New Gulf War era | eBay

Best Regards,

Good link, the examples shown are very cheap too, could be worth a punt!

Regards

here's a referance picture i found ,now does it show the m1 with choc chip cover in use ,im not entirely sureUnusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?

?

Good reference picture James , I think it is a Mitchell cover, Sand side out!

On another note, what is the Helmet, it has an unusual chinstrap??

thats a darn good question opex i dont know for sure but it looks in the m1 style ,if your right and this is the autumn side of the mitchell cover it has bleached quite a lot ,here's another referance picture from a book ive recently found in my loft for comparison to the design ,it shows an honest john crew in south korea dated 1968 Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?

?

Another excellent reference picture James, it's hard to tell from the 1968 dated picture,would I would assume Mitchell with Jungle side out?

I have had another look at the "Saudi" soldier, and I agree looks like an M1 style Helmet, I wonder if it is a South Korean M-80, or West German M-56 / M1 A1, with a locally made chinstrap set up ????

here's an IRAQI wearing a chocolate chip cover on an M1 type helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast