Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?

Article about: Description UNUSUAL AMERICAN M1 STEEL HELMET CHOCOLATE CHIP CAMOUFLAGE COVER, EXPORT CONTRACT? Unissued condition and unmarked but quality manufacture so made by the US for a foreign friendl

?

Great looking example of the Iraqi used M1 BG, do you know the specifics of the US supplying Iraq with these helmets, I find this a fascinating subject!

Quote by Opex View Post
    Great looking example of the Iraqi used M1 BG, do you know the specifics of the US supplying Iraq with these helmets, I find this a fascinating subject!

The US also supplied them to the Iraqis back in the 70's - 80's when they were having better relations with the US at that time

Iraqi-American relations reached their high point. As Ayotallah Khomenei’s Islamic Revolution took hold in Iran, the United States saw Teheran as its main adversary in the Middle East, as did Iraq. Consequently, with huge levels of American support–over $40 billion in weapons and technology through the 1980s

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    The US also supplied them to the Iraqis back in the 70's - 80's when they were having better relations with the US at that time

Iraqi-American relations reached their high point. As Ayotallah Khomenei’s Islamic Revolution took hold in Iran, the United States saw Teheran as its main adversary in the Middle East, as did Iraq. Consequently, with huge levels of American support–over $40 billion in weapons and technology through the 1980s

Thanks BG, great explanation, 40 billion dollars worth of resources , wow that's a lot of cash !!!!!

?

Kinda cool that the M1 Iraq helmet returns back to the US as originated. Any manufacturers markings inside?

Cool Desert Storm Choc Chip cover with Taiwanese Export M1 helmet

I finally found a Choc Chip cover for my Taiwanese Export Desert tan M1 helmet, it's a good match, I noticed mine doesnt have any slits, I guess it's one of the variations that were made , no markings inside
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?   Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

great score in finding one of these battlegearout of curiosity can i ask what colour is on the reverse side and was it a good fit around the chinstrap areas ,in my experiance the covers have to be folded further beyond the stiching in these area's

Quote by James C View Post
    great score in finding one of these battlegearout of curiosity can i ask what colour is on the reverse side and was it a good fit around the chinstrap areas ,in my experiance the covers have to be folded further beyond the stiching in these area's
    Thanks James C

the other side is plain [non reversible] the fit around the chin straps is sloppy, I had to fold it slightly, I could make it fit better by cuttling holes for the straps to pass through and pull the cover down more snug, but I dont want to cut holes in it since these are not that easy to get, I read on another forum a US soldier said he had one without the foilage slits and it came with an 1970's dated Choc Chip camo jacket, the helmet cover was found inside the pocket, his looked the same as mine, I think it might be US made
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?   Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

now there's a thing battlegear did you say 1970's choc chip jacket i never realised they were issued that early ,i thought my 83 dated trousers were around the earliest ,would this of been pre operation brightstar ? well im glad your leaving the cover alone ,it would be a crying shame to cut it ,i think it compliments your m1 a treat

Quote by James C View Post
    now there's a thing battlegear did you say 1970's choc chip jacket i never realised they were issued that early ,i thought my 83 dated trousers were around the earliest ,would this of been pre operation brightstar ? well im glad your leaving the cover alone ,it would be a crying shame to cut it ,i think it compliments your m1 a treat
    yes, according to what I have read the Choc Chip pattern Desert camo was already designed in the 1960's

During the 60's when tensions were rising between the Israelis and Egyptians, the US worried that they might get drawn into a desert war, so they began researching camo patterns. The six color desert camo pattern "chocolate chip" was created in the 60's and we just never used it in a major conflict until Desert Shield/Storm.

Question about M1 Choc chip covers??????? - Page 2 - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

here are the photos of the 1970's dated Choc Chip camo jacket & cover from a US soldier's collection, the jacket looks like it has a 1977 contract date?

?

A most excellent post BG, I am particularity fascinated by this new information regarding the Choc chip covers for M1's and specifically the possible usage as early as the 70's, I have seen an example of the Airborne version of the DBDU before ( though sadly do not own one) so was aware that these were in use, but not that the covers in this camo were issued around that time frame.

Many thanks for adding your fine examples to this forum,which add's more salient information to these Desert m1 covers

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast