Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this????

Article about: Looks inside like DDR but it is not?? It came here in war 1991-95. I only see two of them. It is on the left on second picture,rigt is Swedish.

?

Default What is this????

Looks inside like DDR but it is not?? It came here in war 1991-95. I only see two of them. It is on the left on second picture,rigt is Swedish.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this????   What is this????  

What is this????   What is this????  

What is this????  

Default Re: What is this????

The straps look similar to DDR M56, what does the mark on the liner say please?

?

nothing,there was some numbers. It is really weird,i never see something like that,that is not my field of collecting...i found it on market in Croatia. It came here while war was going in 1991-95. Yes,inside like DDR. It is weird also becouse it had no paint inside,like two parts of shell or something,but they are wielded together

Yep it's a strange one!..

its a new one on me ,but i agree with gunny ,the y straps look ddr m56 ,is the shell composite or steel ?
    Regards James

Maybe they were unfinished m56 sold off to croatia following reunification of germany
    Maybe they were finished in croatia.

Now that is a very interesting object. I agree it does have a superficial similarity to the DDR M56 series, and on first glance I almost thought it was one of the rather rare export versions, the Gerat 605, but I am sure it is not (for now anyway).

The liner is similar but not identical to that of the 56/66 series (the original has six lobes, yours has seven) and the chinstrap, although very similar in form, is not that of the M56 series.

Is it *really* made of two pieces of steel welded together, one inside the other, as you imply?

I would seriously doubt this has anything to do with the M56 series (except perhaps as inspiration) or emanated from Germany. My best guess is it was locally made during the wars. There are probably few of them about as very large numbers of surplus helmets were sold to the combatants from Germany, switzerland, and others and local product would have been pointless. This is a fascinating thing and you are fortunate to have it. I eagerly look forward to some better information from someone!

?

That is finished helmet,and when you look inside ,only straps are like DDR ,shell is not.. Croatia get a thousands of DDR helmets in 91. Once someboady sad this is DDR border guard or something,but there is nothing on net about that.
    It is really made from two pieces.Pretty hevier than DDR. I was idiot and i painted her,it was war camo paint,Croatian style from begin of war.
    It is weird to me that someboady produce helmets at home... There was thousands of DDR and JNA ,SWISS,BRITAIN TURTLE and East block helmets here then...
    I see just one more like this and it is identical.Ant that one had DDR paint original on,i got picture somewhere,must find it.

I think it's like a type of "ersatz" helmet made during wartime, the design of the straps looks like they are permanently riveted to the liner? most Y strap designs used on Russian & East German can be easily removed for replacement, this one is a cruder design

it's a interesting one of a kind helmet, excellent find

I still have no idea what these things are, but I did track down a reference (and pics) to an Italian collector who has two of them, bought from Germany about five years ago. He had no idea what they were then, but I will be trying to contact him to see if anything has surfaced since then. At least this shows that there was perhaps some volume production (even if only in short numbers perhaps!) so there may be more of these about. Somewhere. Probably the Balkans.

Its not beyond belief that they are local domestic FYR product; after all the Jugoslav/Serb NE44 was in wide use, and the Slovenians had their T91 composite ready in time for their short war of independence, so there's precedent for local design and production. But this is a very peculiar cobbled-together object - two shell stampings, one welded inside the other..that's odd!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast