Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What helmet do I have?

Article about: ]Hello, world helmet friends. I'm not usually down this end of the forum, so your help is much appreciated. I have this helmet and I don't know much about it, other than what is clearly writ

Default What helmet do I have?

]Hello, world helmet friends. I'm not usually down this end of the forum, so your help is much appreciated. I have this helmet and I don't know much about it, other than what is clearly written on it. I was thinking either paratrooper or tankers helmet. I need to sell it to fund another helmet purchase, and I'd like to make sure I have an accurate description before selling. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. And, if anyone has an idea of value for a helmet like this, please let me know, either by post or PM. I'm not looking to make a ton off of it, just enough to help with my other purchase and to see it go to a loving home. Thanks, all!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What helmet  do I have?   What helmet  do I have?  

What helmet  do I have?   What helmet  do I have?  

What helmet  do I have?   What helmet  do I have?  

What helmet  do I have?  

Default Re: What helmet do I have?

It looks alot like an East German Paratrooper's helmet...

Looks like a NVA paratrooper helmet.

But the Made in Germany STURM tag somehow makes me think it is a reproduction, I have a jacket made by Mil-Tec (sturm) that has a similar tag.

I could be wrong though, should go to sleep.

It is indeed an East German para helmet - but then again it is also a Polish para helmet. The original of this was produced in Poland as the wz.63, but also heavily used by the NVA as (I think) the M80. There's often been discussion about how to tell whether the helmet was used by Poland or the DDR, and it does seem to boil down to if it has a Polish acceptance stamp inside the shell it is definately Polish, and if it is an export model to the DDR it won't have a stamp. Probably maybe.

Anyway, as yous has the stamp its a pretty reliable bet that its originally Polish issue. Ignore the paper sticker, that has no relevance here.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    It is indeed an East German para helmet - but then again it is also a Polish para helmet. The original of this was produced in Poland as the wz.63, but also heavily used by the NVA as (I think) the M80. There's often been discussion about how to tell whether the helmet was used by Poland or the DDR, and it does seem to boil down to if it has a Polish acceptance stamp inside the shell it is definately Polish, and if it is an export model to the DDR it won't have a stamp. Probably maybe.

Anyway, as yous has the stamp its a pretty reliable bet that its originally Polish issue. Ignore the paper sticker, that has no relevance here.
    Wow, thanks for the info! A rather common helmet to find?

they were sold online from Sportsmans Guide for around $20 not too long ago

value is $25 - $40 they are pretty common surplus helmets

Yes, comparatively common at the moment, but I think less so than a few years back. They used to be in every army surplus shop in the UK in the early 2000s, not so much any more. But being common (ish) doesn't make it any less interesting; I collect 'common' helmets (M1 Euroclones, French Mle51 etc) and find them absolutely fascinating.

NB - beware of writing off a helmet as 'too common' to be interested in; a few years ago there were, for example, loads of Spanish Modelo Z everywhere, now ....

nice lid ,also this type of helmet was worn by iraqi paratroopers ,thanks james