Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type and time is this helmet?

Article about: Hi everyone! I found this helmet in a local market in my city, i was doubting if it could be an italian M33, but i realised it is kinda different so i am completely lost. The chinstraps are

Default What type and time is this helmet?

Hi everyone! I found this helmet in a local market in my city, i was doubting if it could be an italian M33, but i realised it is kinda different so i am completely lost. The chinstraps are made out of leather, not plastic or something like this and the camo is really rare (i think)
    Could someone help me identify this helmet? It is really intriguing for me.

Thanks for your time, Andy.

I believe this is a Bulgarian M51 post-war (cold war) helmet. The colour inside is correct but I think the shade of green on the outside is likely not military.

The top coat paint is much less durable than the mil-spec paint so there is a good chance you could remove the outer bright green without damaging the original olive green underneath by careful use of paint stripper (don't leave it on long and clean away the top coat as it dissolves then re-apply more stripper little by little) which will leave you with a decent entry level piece for a collection of steel helmets.

It is also a good "test bed" because if you mess it up you will not have lost greatly because these are pretty cheap to buy in original condition.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-30-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Andy ,it's the Italian inspired M51 which is a post WW2 helmet from Bulgaria and believed to have been adopted in 1951 and yours is the M51/72 which was an upgraded version in 1972 with stitched chinstraps the earlier model had Rivited Chinstraps the shell also had a more pronounced rim ,your shell looks to be the earlier type so possible a mid production or crossover model as it has the larger doughnut style ventilation Grommit vents
    A nice Cold War collectors piece from one of the Warsaw Pact nations at that time ,have a close look under the liner fingers as it might show a date stamp
    Regards James

Must of been typing at the same time Mark ,Just read your post
    I am sure i recall a thread somewhere on this forum it was mentioned this colour green was for Parade Use but how true i am not sure
    Regards James

Yep I think so.

I have never heard that about the light shiny green but that is something you are much more likely to know than me as you concentrate more on helmets.

Either way it is a hideous colour and very "un-soldierly"

I suppose it is an "owners choice" and probably depends of what it looks like in hand!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark and James for such a fast answer, i couldn´t really find a date on it, but there is a 5(i think) and an 8 on it, anyways the 8 makes me a bit crazy because it looks like it is in the head, i realised too that this colour was so strange, but i guess it was owner choice.

Thanks for everything, Andy

58 is the liner size!

Mark

Omg i am too clueless, i am sorry.
    Thanks for your reply, Andy