Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???

Article about: Does anyone know where I can get a replacement liner for an Irish vickers helmet.. i know these are rare so this may be impossible..

Default Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement liner for an Irish vickers helmet.. i know these are rare so this may be impossible..

?

Default Re: Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???

You would probably have to have one made. Although I'd strongly recommend to leave the helmet as it is.

You could try Prairie Flower.
    I lost my collection to a fire. A couple of helmets I restored with liners from them. They are of good quality. Bu the restored helmet never approaches the original and does not enhanche it's value. Just restore for the fun of it. If your helmet is still in good repair, paint wise, leave it as is.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Mapuche Warrior should probably have a sadle maker or any other leather craftsman to make a liner. I suppose the liner isn't an exact copy of the German liner. Buf if they really are identical it's easiest to buy a german repro.

Mapuche Warrior, just some info regarding the Irish Model 1927 helmet....Vickers supplied the shell, the liner was very similiar to the German M16 Leather liner, the three pad liner was made and fitted by the Dublin firm of "T.Smyth & Son" , they were available in three sizes , Large, Medium and Small, and all were mm "T.Smyth & Son Dublin 1927" followed by single size letters, " L, M or S". The liner was attached to the shell by three 6mm flat copper rivets with 14mm copper washers. The chinstrap was identical to German M18 model affixed to rivetted bails on the skirt. These helmets were used until 1940 by the Irish Army, during WW2 many were painted white and distributed to Civil Defence organisations. In the recent past the Irish Army bulldozed approx 4,000 of these helmets into the ground during a construction project !
    Hope that helps, by the way I would contact Prairie Flower Leather ( http://www.pflco.com ) re/replacement liner if thats the route you wish to take.
    Prost ! Steve.

This is the Vickers M27 that I restored with the liner from Prairie Flower. I had it delivered without the cut-out in the leather ring and not stitched, so I could adapt it to the differing Vickers shell size.

Well, it looks beter than the burnt out shell, I think. Nothing original anymore though!

Cheers,
    Emile
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???   Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???  

Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???  

before restoration
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???  

That's just a damn shame Emile, but I think it's an improvement from an aesthetic point of view.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Hi Mapuche,

Shows us the results of your restoration efforts!
    Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast