Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 M16 chin strap

Article about: Hey all! I think I know the answer to this already but thought id see what you guys think! I am restoring a M16 model helmet to its proper WW1 config as originally I restored it as a transit

?

Default WW1 M16 chin strap

Hey all! I think I know the answer to this already but thought id see what you guys think! I am restoring a M16 model helmet to its proper WW1 config as originally I restored it as a transitional. Now I am not as well clued up on WW1 parts & repros seem hard to find! So to my point... I have just received a repro early model chinstrap with brass fittings but the ends are riveted which immediately raised concerns! Now I am not 100% sure but are they not all supposed to be hand stitched the chinstraps? Just hoping one of you can confirm this is junk like I suspect it to be so I can celebrate wasting more money and go buy a new one! Cheers! Sean.

Default Re: WW1 M16 chin strap

i would say hand stitched ,any photos to refer too ,thanks james
    Regards James

here's one i have with brass fittings , some are steel ,does it look anything like thisWW1 M16 chin strap
    Regards James

?

Hi James! Its black leather with rivets were your is stitched by the buckle. I am just about to head out for the day but will post pics later on. Pretty sure its junk but you never know! Do you know were I can get any good quality reproduction straps and pins as well?? Again ordered pins and I got sent three wide head pins when it should be one wide head two thin. Cheers! Sean.

?

Hi James! Sorry for the delay, Here is a couple pics of the chinstrap. Cheers! Sean.WW1 M16 chin strapWW1 M16 chin strap

?

Never seen ones with a rivet,plus yours looks to be a poor quality repro,try Soldier of Fortune,they might have some

?

Hi dave! Yeah thought as much... It is actually a SOF repro. Sourcing quality repro M16/M17 straps & liners in UK is a hard task. Cheers! Sean.

Yes indeed Sean, your chinstrap is way to bad to add to a genuine M16......Brown/black leather, field grey,brass or steel fittings were all used in any combination...remember most had been Pickelhaube (Spike helmet) chinstraps...there are good and bad copies...I recommend "Prairie flower leather Company" in the States, they will send to the U.K. see here.. Military Reproductions a genuine one will cost around £150 + if you can find one !
    Prost ! Steve.