Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI color film, shows a soldier using Brodie helmet without a liner?

Article about: YouTube - WW1- Hell in the Trenches! at 2:34 minutes , they show a group of Doughboys putting on their gas masks and you can see a helmet that has no liner before he puts it on

Default WWI color film, shows a soldier using Brodie helmet without a liner?

YouTube - WW1- Hell in the Trenches!

at 2:34 minutes , they show a group of Doughboys putting on their gas masks and you can see a helmet that has no liner before he puts it on

?

Default Re: WWI color film, shows a soldier using Brodie helmet without a liner?

None of the helmets have a liner. Don't have a clue if they were modified just to wear with a gas mask, with other helmets for wear during regular trench use.

Default Re: WWI color film, shows a soldier using Brodie helmet without a liner?

SteveR, that is entirely possible.

I cannot think of any other reason for helmets not having liners.............
    Regards,

Steve.

thats unusual? I guess they removed the liners to make it a little easier and faster to wear with the gas mask? but it would also tend to slip off easily during combat

I think maybe some soldiers removed the liner so they could wear a knit cap under it for better comfort

One thing though, colour film was not available during WWI,
    and there was only limited use in the 1930's............

The only type of film that would be coloured from the WWI
    era is by modern technique, or period 'hand-tinting'.
    Regards,

Steve.

While not film, colour pics do exist:

World War One Color Photos - Color Photos from World War I

But most "colour" photos/film are retouched as Steve mentioned.

Cheers, Ade.

I can't say much about the subject in question, but I do know that the goumiers (Algerian or Moroccan infantry in the Free French service) who routinely wore the shemagh or keffiyeh (excuse my Arabic), wore a British Mark II or French Adrian without a liner, directly on top of their traditional headgear, for obvious reasons (Italy, Liberation, Germany....1943 to 1945). I'm not sure how far back this practice went....maybe 1915.

Cheers,

Pat