Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Naval Landing Helmet? Original or repro?

Article about: WhatEver it is-or Was...it's been turned into a Frankenstein and is totally ruined. It's worthless now.

Default WWII Japanese Naval Landing Helmet? Original or repro?

I have what is supposedly a WWII Japanese Naval Landing Forces helmet. If original, it clearly had some resto work: a new liner put in and a paint job somewhere along the way.

Something that stirred suspicion is that the rivets have a stamped "S"

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

?

Default Re: WWII Japanese Naval Landing Helmet? Original or repro?

Well it certainly doesnt match the appearance of the relic lid i had, there were no holes at the front as i remember it nor four crown studs , im not 100% certain its actually a japanese made helmet, unless its a civil lid

I think this is possibly Swiss or some other European helmet that has been
    worked into a Japanese lid ? - If it's an authentic Japanese helmet shell,
    it definitely has an incorrect liner system.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I think this is possibly Swiss or some other European helmet that has been
    worked into a Japanese lid ? - If it's an authentic Japanese helmet shell,
    it definitely has an incorrect liner system.........!
    Oh yeah, no question that this is just some replacement liner, no doubts about that.

?

I think the helmet shell is Japanese but all the original holes for the liner mounts and the air vents have been blocked with rivets and the repro liner mounted in new holes. The badge is repro also. It looks like some one has put a lot of effort in to it, but sadly it isn't a good result.

?

Im nearly 100% convinced this isnt a true japanese marine helmet, in all the ones ive seen they do not have the four rivets on top nor the double sets of rivets on the front and sides, there would be no reason to add or fill in the existing holes just to put a repro liner in, also the naval badge looks like a repro as well

I don't think any Japanese soldier in his right mind would have put a bright red and white insignia on the front of his helmet. That would have been the first place a US Marine would have put a 30-06 slug. We figured that out with the brilliant idea of painting our hand grenades bright yellow, very early in the island campaign in the Pacific.

Thanks

Burt

I do think it's a Japanese shell, though the restorer didn't do his homework on what holes need to be left open, or colour, or badge, or liner........

Odds on it was a good old standard type90 that's been jazzed up for sale, hence the flag on the front.

Jason

?

If it was a " good old standard" type 90 why all the added holes, restored or not theres no need to add anything just to put a repro liner in, plus why the added 4 rivets on top, it certainly doesnt match an army or naval helmet anymore, its a real messed up lid and from what country i dont know but i still dont think its japanese, i'm thinking possibly chinese

I still think its was originally a Type 90 though I agree its was mostly likely used post war by the Chinese, Taiwanese or even Thai forces and relined with an M1 style webbing or something such, hence the added holes. The ventilation holes in the top could have been plugged by post war service or the builder of this lid seeing holes and thinking they needed to be filled due to lack of research on what he was making

Dont get me wrong, the paint is bad, liner is bad, badge is bad and its full of extra pins (the S marked ones) but I dont see any evidence of it being a Euro helmet cutdown. The rest of the pins and holes match up to both of my 2 Type 90's I have with me, as well as the general shape of the lid itself.

While not being a SNLF Helmet, I think it started its life as Japanese and had a postwar life with another country before being pimped to what we see here

Cheers
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast