Become our sponsor and display your banner here

4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!

Article about: Wanted to share with you guys one of my cherished historical pieces. The completion of the first transatlantic telegraph cable in 1858 was a cause for much celebration on both sides of the A

Default 4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!

Wanted to share with you guys one of my cherished historical pieces.

The completion of the first transatlantic telegraph cable in 1858 was a cause for much celebration on both sides of the Atlantic. Tiffany & Company of New York purchased the cable remaining on board the USS Niagara after the successful completion of the cable and sold 4-inch sections as souvenirs. Each section of cable was banded at the ends with brass ferrules and had a brass plaque that read "

"ATLANTIC TELEGRAPH CABLE/GUARANTEED BY/TIFFANY & CO. BROADWAY NEW YORK 1858 '
    The cable souvenirs originally sold for 50 cents and came with a reproduced letter of authenticity from Cyrus W. Field, the pioneer of the transatlantic cable system. The jubilation turned to jeers when the cable failed a few weeks later, and Tiffany never sold its supply of cable

General P

If this is in the wrong place let me know I will move it.

American Museum of America History collection item link : 4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!   4 inch portion of the first Alantic telehraph Cable 1858. Sold by Tiffany Uniqe peice of history!  

MAP
    ?

Nice piece of history. And to think how far we have come! But this was revolutionary in its time. The precursor to the 24 hour news cycle!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

May I ask what the circumference of this is ? It must have been quite difficult splicing this cable at various points. I was a telephone cable splicer for 30 years & I can't imagine what would have been involved. That's probably why it failed...a poor splice that gave way to water intrusion.
    Thanks for posting
    D.
    "When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down."
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Real thanks for the interest . I measured it and it came out as 55mm in circumference.
    Form what I have read the cable shorted out and was destroyed when someone applied increased voltage in an attempt to achieve faster transmissions speeds as the lines performance stared to decrease. Much more info and more interesting to look at is History of the Atlantic Cable & Submarine Telegraphy
    Extremely interesting story about the 1857-58 cable and those thereafter

There had to be some corrosion of the main copper line as it was important as the cable was " 7 copper wires covered with thre coats of gutta-perch a. Wound with tarred hemp inside a sheath of 18 strands of 7 iron wires laid in a spiral"

everyday I give my daughter a vocab word or item she must use in a sentence correctly before bedtime you know Gutta-perch a is going to be that item.

Regards
    GP

Thanks GP
    Will read the link tomorrow morning. 55MM is only about 2". I was thinking along the lines of something larger.
    D.
    "When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down."
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"