'An Accrington Pal'

Article about: Following the recent publication of 'An Accrington Pal', Christine Walsh - head of Accrington Library, invited me up to give a talk and do a book-signing. So on Thursday September 1st, I wen

Default 'An Accrington Pal'

Following the recent publication of 'An Accrington Pal', Christine Walsh - head of Accrington Library, invited me up to give a talk and do a book-signing. So on Thursday September 1st, I went up with my mannequin, rifle, and supply of books. It was quite a humbling experience really. One elderly lady came over to me with two faded photographs of her late father who had served with the 'Pals' in the great war. He was awarded the MM for bravery during the fighting at Oppy wood in may 1917.

Another lady came over and introduced herself as the great niece of Pte Albert Gibson who was killed on July 1st, 1916. Albert was Jack Smallshaw's best friend. He had a photo of Albert, and on the back he had written: " I last saw Albert with a bag of Mills bombs! July 1916. The soldier in the photo is Albert. The talk lasted for the best part of an hour, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. One person thanked me for writing the book and told me how she now had a better understanding of what her grandfather went through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14199611_1756468771291846_2675314770963903122_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	995564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7865.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	995565
    Books published to date... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack - Andersonstown'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Great stuff Steve!.....
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Well done Steve

hope it sells well for you.

The 'Bygones' page from last Wednesday's edition of the 'Accrington Observer & Times'. if you click on the picture you should be able to read the text.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img017.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	995742
    Books published to date... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack - Andersonstown'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.