Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle Jr. Has Passed Away

Article about: WWII veteran and long time representative of the Lakota in South Dakota, Chief of the Minicoujou band David Beautiful Bald Eagle, has passed away. He died peacefully at home on the Cheyenne

?

Default Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle Jr. Has Passed Away

WWII veteran and long time representative of the Lakota in South Dakota, Chief of the Minicoujou band David Beautiful Bald Eagle, has passed away. He died peacefully at home on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation, aged 97 years old. His name in Lakota translates as Wounded in Winter Beautiful Bald Eagle.

The grandson of Tȟatȟŋka Sk (White Bull), one of the victorius chiefs at the Battle of the Greasy Grass, aka The Battle of the Little Bighorn, he was born in a tepee in 1919 and will be laid to rest on Friday in the Black Hills National Cemetery. During WWII, he served with the 82nd Airborne and was severely wounded (shot by four bullets) parachuting into Normandy on D-Day and left for dead. Most of his unit were killed as they had been mistakingly dropped directly onto German lines. Fortunately, a British medic discovered him near St.Mere Eglise. Later, he earned notoriety as a champion Lakota dancer, rodeo star and actor. In the world of cinema, his work included Dances With Wolves, stunt double for Errol Flynn and he personally trained John Wayne how to handle and ride horses. Driving race cars, breeding horses and playing semi-pro baseball were also features of a life that lasted close to a century. Tragedy struck in 1946 when his English wife, a dance instructor whom he had met during the war, died in a car crash. She was pregnant. Dangerous pursuits, including race car driving, bull riding and skydiving filled his time following the loss. Later, in 1958 whilst working in Europe as part of Casey Tibbs' Wild West Show, he met Belgian actress Josee Kesteman, a woman who he later said "kept me alive". After marrying, they moved back to the reservation and set up home on a ranch, raising horses and children. After being made First Chief of the United Indigenous Nations, he spoke publicly all over the world at functions attended by indigenous people.

"I was born in a tepee at Cherry Creek, the first Indian village there ever was," Bald Eagle told the Journal in 2013. "I know we can't go back there, back to where we were. But we can tell the young ones how it was and they can remember, and they can bring it back. They can return."

Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle, 1919-2016.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	984502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChiefBaldEagle.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	984504  

Currently working on several KZ related projects, including items for the USHMM and various private concerns and studies. Available as a guide to KZ sites, contact for details.

http://www.concentrationcamptours.com/

www.concentrationcampmoney.com/

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

?

A sad day for the Lakota , RIP .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    A sad day for the Lakota , RIP .
    Indeed.

"When you were born, you cried
    and the world rejoiced.
    Live your life
    so that when you die,
    the world cries and you rejoice."

White Elk

A life well lived R.I.P. Chief.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Rip!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

R.i.p.

?

The last of the cinematic works Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle was involved with is due for release soon, details and trailer feature in the link below. David Bald Eagle plays an old Indian who is helped by a white man to record his stories before he passes...below is a quote from his character, Dan:

When white people won it was a victory, when Natives won it was a massacre. When they fought for freedom it was a revolution, when we fought for freedom it was an uprising. No Indian alive dares to think too much about the past. The bones of our people are crying.

Feature Film 'Neither Wolf Nor Dog' on the Home Stretch - ICTMN.com
    Currently working on several KZ related projects, including items for the USHMM and various private concerns and studies. Available as a guide to KZ sites, contact for details.

?

From a series of short videos posted on YouTube from the Wo Lakota project, David Bald Eagle talks of his military service during WWII, including a wonderful little story about how he and a buddy tested the German sharpshooters out at Anzio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpJ...dadmNBlbgfu1kq