Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas truce of 1914

Article about: The day the war stopped for a day. Christmas Day 1914 According to the stories, the soldiers seemed to test the idea of a truce sometime on Christmas Eve as they started singing carols like

Default Christmas truce of 1914

The day the war stopped for a day. Christmas Day 1914

According to the stories, the soldiers seemed to test the idea of a truce sometime on Christmas Eve as they started singing carols like “Silent Night.” Then in the morning, some of the troops cautiously emerged from their trenches and wished their enemies a Merry Christmas. They laid down their weapons, and gathered in the “no man’s land” between the trenches. Shared food, drink and cigarettes.

Christmas truce of 1914

The General staff of both the Allied and German side were none to pleased with this loss of fighting spirit and banned such displays of "Christmas Spirit" and good will to all men, in later years. But then the Kings, Generals and the politicians had caused the mess to begin with.

Merry Christmas WRF friends!

Anderson

A great photo Anderson!

Below is a picture that was posted on a Facebook group called "WW1 Colourised Photos". It was taken on the Eastern Front, Christmas 1914. Photo source - 'Time' Magazine & Colorized by Sanna Dullaway.

Not sure if this actually a somewhat staged photo but I'm sure it is typical of what went on that day.Christmas truce of 1914

In case anyone is looking for something interesting to watch then this documentary on the building of a replica British WW1 tank won't disappoint: YouTube

Merry Christmas to all members. It has been a great year and I have certainly learnt a lot.

Hello,
    Photos are from the french film "Joyeux Noël" released in 2005, it's about the Christmas Truce of 1914.
    The film shows french, german and british soldiers on the same part of the front fraternizing, sharing food, playing football, the mass is great and the couple of opera singers do the job...At the end of the film, i did not feel that i had lost 1 hour and 30 minutes of my lifetime for nothing, so i enjoyed it i guess...
    Thanks

Christmas truce of 1914

Christmas truce of 1914

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

The Christmas truce of 1914 was quite an event, and on some stretches of the line they even held football matches - the results of which were recorded in English newspapers. And although the Top Brass were determined to put a stop to the fraternisation, it carried on for several days after Christmas day. Neither side wanted to open fire on each other. Anderson's photograph actually dates from around 1917 or later, note the Mg08/15 machine guns lay on the ground. I'm pretty sure that the image is of captured Germans following the battle of Arras in 1917. Meanwhile, here are a couple of images from the actual truce.

Cheers,
    Steve

Christmas truce of 1914Christmas truce of 1914

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    A great photo Anderson!

Below is a picture that was posted on a Facebook group called "WW1 Colourised Photos". It was taken on the Eastern Front, Christmas 1914. Photo source - 'Time' Magazine & Colorized by Sanna Dullaway.
    Not sure if this actually a somewhat staged photo but I'm sure it is typical of what went on that day.Christmas truce of 1914
    Yes, I reckon that is a staged picture. Apart from the trench and occupants with all the paraphernalia the setting couldn't really look less like the unstable and shattered landscape of the frontline on a WWI battlefield and they all look just a wee bit too clean.If it is period at all (doubtful) it is probably in a rear area.

However, it does convey the image of a unique point in time when ordinary men pushed back against the madness of their so called "betters".
    It is my belief that the 1914 truce far from being an isolated incident was much more widespread than is generally understood even today.
    What is sure is that the staff on both sides were horrified and moved the units involved to different areas of the front as soon as possible and attempted to enforce a publicity ban similar to what we call today a "D Notice" though as Steve says it did get some publicity in the papers.
    It didn't happen again because a year later the horror of war had created so much bitter hatred on both sides that the generals got what they wanted.

It was a unique set of circumstances from which we should all take something even if it it just a reinforced confidence in basic human nature as it is before it is corrupted by events.

Nobody hates war more than a soldier.

To you and yours from me and mine;
    A very merry Christmas and a happy new year

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-24-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes, quite right Steve the photo is late war, but I couldn't find as good an image from 1914. Nice additional pictures others have posted. Merry Christmas!

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, quite right Steve the photo is late war, but I couldn't find as good an image from 1914. Nice additional pictures others have posted. Merry Christmas!
    And Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers,
    Steve

CBH
    ?

Merry Christmas to all the Membership and Mods on this fine Forum.
    I read somewhere that in 1915 Canadians refused to participate in a Christmas Truce and actual opened fire on the German attempt.
    This resulted in much animosity towards the Canadians from the Germans. I only ever heard of this once, and have been unable to find the article again.
    I thought this was an interesting piece of history, to share. And my apologies to any Germans who might read this.

Merry Christmas Gentlemen
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice statue in Liverpool
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Christmas truce of 1914   Christmas truce of 1914  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast