Duelling Still Alive and Well in the British Army.

Article about: News has started leaking out that a duel was fought between two British army officers at the Allenby barracks in Bovington Camp, Dorset last Friday night after an end-of-course Fathers and S

Default Duelling Still Alive and Well in the British Army.

News has started leaking out that a duel was fought between two British army officers at the Allenby barracks in Bovington Camp, Dorset last Friday night after an end-of-course Fathers and Sons dinner for young tank troop commanders of the Royal Armoured Corps.

Apparently there was a disagreement between two serving officers, and a demand of satisfaction was made. It was then decided to settle it with a duel held on board kayaks in the swimming pool and the weapon of choice was 16mm flares. The protagonists were reported as being naked at the time.

It seems at some point a misdirected flare careened through a window into the officers mess on the 7th floor of the barracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duel 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	984354

Attempts at bringing the fire under control were hampered somewhat when it was discovered that the fire hydrants had all been shut off several months before due to concerns regarding the possible presence of Legionnaires disease in the water system after an outbreak in January. This resulted in the staff attempting to fight the fire with handheld C02 extinguishers, but the fire was too great and the local Fire Brigade had to be called to deal with the blaze.

Luckily there were no casualties and the plucky firemen managed to safely rescue the cheese board....

Name:	duel 4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	984355

The fire was contained mainly to a corridor, although there was extensive smoke damage to the whole floor as can be seen in pictures taken the morning after the duel....

Name:	duel 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	984356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duel 3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	984357

Army sources suggested the incident was being viewed as “high jinx rather than criminal damage”, and an Army spokesperson said: “We can confirm a fire occurred on Friday evening at Bovington Camp, Dorset Fire & Rescue attended the fire. There was some damage but no one was injured, while an investigation is taking place it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

It's refreshing to see British Cavalry Officers still uphold the traditions of the service after so many years since the banning of satisfaction in an affair of honour. I am personally delighted and impressed to hear of this!

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 07-27-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: schpellink.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Bloody Ruperts!....
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

I'm assuming the pool was on the roof, or I'm gonna start questioning how he got into the army with an aim like that, but at least he could hit the broad side of a building.

I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

CBH
    ?

I bet there would be a different response if they were enlisted men . The Brig !
    Cheers Chris

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Bloody Ruperts!....
    No kidding, Jonty and Torquil will probably get a rap on the knuckles and have to each gift a case of Veuve Cliquot to the mess, whereas if it were a couple of hoi polloi squaddies then their feet wouldn't have touched the ground on the way to months banged up in Colchester. You'd be surprised how the class system is still so endemic in the army, especially when it comes to mounted regiments.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank God the cheese board made it unharmed. Back in the 70's not ever my flares (trousers) could have done that much damage.

kc1
    ?

Should put up the barrack room damage levy i had to pay or perhaps only for other ranks ?

These little idiots never change which is why for the first couple of years they are closely mentored by an experienced SNCO "You can do it like that if you really insist Sir, but....."

Certainly during my service these things occurred accross the board but tended to be categorised as; Vandalism in the NAAFI, Rowdy behaviour in the SGTS Mess and High Spirits in the Officers Mess.

However, in these times given that they are very junior officers, the amount of damage caused and worst of all the media attention I think there is a very good chance of these two being "allowed to resign" if not actually cashiered.

One last point; to say this is high spirits rather than criminal damage is not accurate as the definition under law of Criminal Damage includes the provision for "being reckless as to whether property would be destroyed or damaged" so the only way out is if higher echelon decides not to prosecute because foolishness very much includes recklessness. Thankfully there is no need to consider Manslaughter here

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."