Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KRIT Motor Car Co. Pin find

Article about: This came in a lot of other items. I originally thought it was a TR era item. I did not know anything about this US car maker prior to picking up this pin. This was a symbol for a US car mak

Default KRIT Motor Car Co. Pin find

This came in a lot of other items. I originally thought it was a TR era item. I did not know anything about this US car maker prior to picking up this pin. This was a symbol for a US car maker. I had no clue. Interesting part of history I though worth sharing, but maybe not so much since it is not militaria.

The following was taken from the WWW.

One of the little known car manufacturers out of Detroit was KRIT or K-R-I-T motors. The main reason was that the company was only in existence for seven years—1909-1916. The company was never able to build up momentum because of the outbreak of World War I which interrupted the company’s export business to Europe and Australia upon which the company was dependent and drove it out of business. The name of KRIT is believed to come from the company’s chief financier, Kenneth Crittenden of Ford and Regal. The company was originally located at the old C. H. Blomstrom Manufacturing Co. works at the corner of Wright and Lieb until 1911 when the company was purchased by Walter S. Russel of Russel Wheel and Foundry who moved the operation to the old R. M. Owen & Co. works who had relocated after becoming Owen Magnetic.

John

KRIT Motor Car Co. Pin findKRIT Motor Car Co. Pin find

?

There was another thread about a year or so back, I found this at that time online.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KRIT Motor Car Co. Pin find  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thank you G. It was interesting to note that most of the production was exported to Europe.
    John

CBH
    ?

They should have sued the NSDAP for Copyright Infringement.
    Very interesting object, thanks for sharing.

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    They should have sued the NSDAP for Copyright Infringement.
    Very interesting object, thanks for sharing.
    Hahahahaahahaaaa
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

It does remind us that the Swastika symbol prior to the 1930's had a more positive image in Europe and the US. Certainly from about the 1890-1920 the symbol in the "West" was associated with good luck, so little pendants with swastikas were common, and now some are sold as a Third Reich creations, when they actually pre-date it.

Have any KRIT cars survived to this day?

CBH
    ?

Yes I've seen many variations of the swastika used as a good luck symbol etc.
    But this one even has the same colour combo!

When doing the research I found one article on a surviving car in the US. I am assuming there would be more in Europe since most were exported. If the car company was not already out of business they certainly could have sued the NSDAP.
    John

I was wondering if any Krit cars survived given the company folded in 1916. Well it turns out a few have, sprinkled over Krit's international market. Apparently 1913 was their biggest year exporting cars to Britain, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Apparently survivors in the hands of vintage car enthusiasts include cars in Ireland, Germany, two in Australia and two in New Zealand.

Quite nice looking cars they were too. The red four door tourer is an Australian Krit.

KRIT Motor Car Co. Pin findKRIT Motor Car Co. Pin findKRIT Motor Car Co. Pin find

Anderson, thank you for posting some pictures and bringing additional knowledge into the conversation. Nice looking cars.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast