Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Memorial Day! SHOW YOUR PIC'S!!!!!!!!

Article about: Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America. I recently got this in the mail from a Father of o

Default Hello Everyone

This is my grandfather Charles A. Allen. He served will the 28th Field Battery from Miramichi, N.B., Canada in WW2. He was in France, Holland, North Africa, England, Scotland and a long time in Italy. He was injured half way through the war and served as an officers helper and was a master-projectionist in charge of troop entertainment with the Knights of Columbus, Also in the 4th Battalion re-enforcement troop in Italy. He brought back a lot of keepsakes from the war which all of you have been helping me identify. Take care and thank you all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0489.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	967335

Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My Father William T. Grist with 1928 Thompson SMG France 1945. Entered Service MAY 1942 , Discharged December 1945. North Africa, Italy, Southern France. Came home on the Troop Transport Ship USS General Mann.. BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	967419  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I only have a pic of the Men of the Fioretti crew that I posted earlier. So I will honor the other men that were KIA on that April 13th 1944 Schweinfurt raid by posting this list put together by the Pilot of the only B17 of the 545th Bomb Squadron to make it back to his base at Grafton Underwood that day.

Name:  Schweinfurt dead 4-13-09.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  30.1 KB

Semper Fi

Attended a memorial service this afternoon. In memory of all those who have served and especially of those who did not return home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	967488
    Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist.
    Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
    Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
    Als sie die Juden holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Jude.
    Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.

In honor of my fellow Phoenician, Paul Kelly, who just passed on May 15th:

Kelly, Captain Paul James, Sr., (Ret.)
    Paul James Kelly, Sr. closed his final flight plan and turned in his wings on May 15, 2016 in Tempe, Arizona just short of his 95th birthday. Paul was one of eleven children, born July 1, 1921 in Brighton, Massachusetts. At the young age of 14, Paul befriended a family that moved into his building and was promptly smitten by the beautiful and vivacious Millie Corkery. Paul and Millie were married on December 26, 1942 in Bainbridge, Georgia and shortly thereafter Paul was shipped overseas as the captain of a B-17 bomber crew in WWII. Paul's crew, very taken with Millie, unanimously agreed to christen their B-17 the "Millie K" in her honor and Paul's good luck charm watched over them for 26 successful missions and he returned them all home safe and sound. Paul's successful tour with the U.S. Army Air Corps evolved into a fantastic career with TWA, lasting almost 40 years. Paul flew all over the world in many types of aircraft, from DC-3's to 747's with the Connie and L1011 being his favorites. He also loved to fly "just for fun" aircraft like gliders, Cessnas and various acrobatic airplanes. After retiring from TWA in 1983, Paul wasn't to be grounded, so he again became the pilot in command of another B-17, the famous Sentimental Journey. Paul and Millie flew the B-17 for the CAF (Commemorative Air Force) to air shows all over the United States, delighting veterans from all branches of service. Paul made that Flying Fortress famous all over again, by skillfully piloting it for the televised anti-littering campaign "Don't Mess With Texas". (Google it - it's awesome!!) Paul also volunteered for years as a pilot for the Civil Air Patrol, Flights For Life and United Blood Services, no doubt saving many lives in the process. In all, Paul flew for almost 70 years and logged over 28,000 flight hours. While raising six children, Paul & Millie lived in Florida, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, relocating to accommodate Paul's careers with the Army Air Corps and TWA. They settled in Paradise Valley, Arizona in 1972, where they lived for 39 years before finally moving to Friendship Village Tempe in July 2011. Paul is predeceased by Millie, the love of his life for more than 70 years, who passed away in 2013. Paul is survived by their six children: Paul, Jr. (Lynn), Janice, David, Robert, Michael (Janis) and Christine (Brad Herseth); six grandchildren: Kirsten Chambers (Chad), Adam (Megan), Matthew, Brian, Scott and Christopher; four great-grandchildren: Olivia and Grace Chambers, Finnegan and Lucia Kelly; and many very, very special nieces and nephews. Paul's family would like to extend their grateful appreciation to the staff at the Friendship Village Tempe Health Care Center and Hospice of the Valley for their care and compassion. A celebration of Paul's Life will be held at 1400 hours (2:00pm) on Sunday, June 5, 2016 at Messinger Mortuary, 7601 E. Indian School Rd., Scottsdale, Arizona with reception immediately following. Paul will be reunited with Millie, when he is interred with full military honors at the National Memorial Cemetery in Phoenix, Arizona. Don ations in Paul's honor may be made to the CAF, Falcon Field, 2017 N. Greenfield Rd., Mesa, AZ 85215, or to a veterans organization of your choice. Online condolences - See more at: Paul Kelly Obituary - Scottsdale, AZ | The Arizona Republic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-17,Millie-K,42,37978,.jpg 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	967500  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As the sun set's on this Desert Rat on Memorial Day. I wish to thank all that have participated in this thread and shared with us all, those that needed to be recognized and remembered today. I will end this with my personal remembrance to my Marine Corps brothers that I knew and loved and lost.

Know that all mentioned in this thread will be smiling with us and they will REST IN PEACE.

Nicely done Phil.
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123