A New Collecting Area Project Idea?

Article about: I was sniffing about in eBay the other day and stumbled onto an interesting idea for anyone looking to start collecting in a pretty much un-mined new area for Very cheap and yet fascinating

Default A New Collecting Area Project Idea?

I was sniffing about in eBay the other day and stumbled onto an interesting idea for anyone looking to start collecting in a pretty much un-mined new area for Very cheap and yet fascinating items. The field is this-"V-Mail". What caught my attention was the huge availability of these WWII GI letters from afar and how absolutely Cheap they are priced. On an average, Including Postage(which is usually Free) a person can find and buy them for $5 to $10 apiece. For a very small expenditure of money in these tightened times, a person could put together an Amazing collection in no time at all. When you look at the letter's contents, they are a fascinating microcosm of a long gone era and contain the personal thoughts, observations and feelings of lonely and bored GI's many miles from home in foreign lands with sights and people they had never before experienced. From mundane complaints about the weather, to homesick longing for their families and loved ones. Many of which would never again see each other alive. The envelopes alone are all interesting and labeled for every part and corner of the country-many of which most people have never even heard of before.

If one could gather together enough of these uncollected treasures-and it wouldn't be difficult or costly at all-one could even, perhaps put them together into a book. Now, at My age, it's not too practical to begin a new project like this, but for young and new collectors with limited budgets? There are all kinds of potentials to be found here.

Or, who knows? Maybe none of the above and I'm just babbling stupid thoughts myself! lol But, look into it,guys! If I was 50 years younger, I'd do it myself!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thumbs up

I like the German military letters better, but i have several of the US V mail also.
    In both instances some still have the original letter in them. I also have some of the V mail that is photo copies which was sent back rather than the original letter.
    Sarge

True that, but the V-Mail has the added advantage also of not needing translation, which would be great for Americans,Brits and Aussies.

(that, and they only cost a fraction of what German Feld Posts cost!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    True that, but the V-Mail has the added advantage also of not needing translation, which would be great for Americans,Brits and Aussies.
    Indeed...very convenient...should appeal to the modern mindset...
    Currently working on several KZ related projects, including items for the USHMM and various private concerns and studies. Available as a guide to KZ sites, contact for details.

http://www.concentrationcamptours.com/

www.concentrationcampmoney.com/

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

War letters are definitely very interesting items to collect. I too went through a feldpost collecting period, German letters are quite plentiful and also relatively inexpensive. US stuff would be fascinating and reading them without a translator would be a bonus.
    Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

?

There are some collectors of similar material here on the forum, i.e. the German sort or specifically, SS related. Such collections, remembering the written word not only preserve history but also give a valuable insight into the thoughts and feelings of those that were there - something that the passing of time, sadly takes away from the world.
    Currently working on several KZ related projects, including items for the USHMM and various private concerns and studies. Available as a guide to KZ sites, contact for details.

http://www.concentrationcamptours.com/

www.concentrationcampmoney.com/

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0009.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	991548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0008.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	991549

I have collection of V mails sent back by my Uncle Joe along with the post cards from Stalag 17 that were sent to his mother.

They are an interesting subject.

Semper Fi
    Phil

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to acquire a nice M35 police helmet /flag bring back along with the US vets Ike jacket and over 200 v mail letters the vet wrote home during his war in the Uk and North west Europe. I have gradually ben working my way through them but theres lots and lots more to do.

?

Thumbs up

Some day in the far distant future someone will enjoy having all the letters to & from my wife while I was in Viet Nam. All were saved and are in a shoe box somewhere around here.
    Sarge

?

Quote by Sarge View Post
    Some day in the far distant future someone will enjoy having all the letters to & from my wife while I was in Viet Nam. All were saved and are in a shoe box somewhere around here.
    Sarge
    A treasure in 100 years.