Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Member of the Forum IN NEED OF HELP!

Article about: Hello and thank you for taking a look at my thread. I am a new member of the War relics forum in need of help. I am wanting to write to WWII veterans in an attempt to gain and preserve there

CBH
    ?

I just went to the last vet I knew funeral last week , he was with the Allies . I'm sure there aren't many left now without diminished facilities . Time keeps marching on , with those who were there , leaving us daily . I think your project is a little late .

Cheers Chris

Welcome to the Forum Matt! Glad to have you aboard! Try not to stay up all night! You are in good hands!

Regards,Geoff

Unfortunately, Time takes its Toll and WWII Combat Veterans are hard to find regardless of nationality...I agree with our friends that the remaining gentlemen are at an age where they're unlikely to correspond at length, if at all....However, if you speak/understand German, there are many interviews with both Allied & Wehrmacht Veterans available on YouTube...
    I was fortunate in that regard, having been born and raised in Germany as a youngster...Several of my teachers were Wehrmacht Veterans back then, and I began collecting at an early age...spoke with Albert Speer when I was 13...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn1966; 09-08-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Unfortunately, Time takes its Toll and WWII Combat Veterans are hard to find regardless of nationality...I agree with our friends that the remaining gentlemen are at an age where they're unlikely to correspond at length, if at all....However, if you speak/understand German, there are many interviews with both Allied & Wehrmacht Veterans available on YouTube...
    I was fortunate in that regard, having been born and raised in Germany as a youngster...Several of my teachers were Wehrmacht Veterans back then, and I began collecting at an early age...spoke with Albert Speer when I was 13...
    cheers, Glenn
    I didn't know you got a chance to speak with Speer, Glenn. Would love to hear more about that!

Like others have said, I think this endeavor is too late. Two years ago I went to an old folks home to speak with veterans and time had certainly taken it's toll, many had problems with their memory and some felt like they've just spoken enough about that part of their life.

JMM
    ?

Yes, Glenn please tell us more about that conversation between a 13 year old and Speer

I grew up in Lampertheim as a kid, which is only a 30 minute drive from Heidelberg, where Speer lived...My mother had bought me a copy of "Inside the Third Reich" and I'd watched "The World at War", so I was already familiar with Speer...he was in the phone book and I simply gave him a call...I told him who I was and he asked me "was wollen Sie denn wissen?", and I asked him something about Panther Production up to the end of the war...I thanked for his time and that was it...This was in 1979, about one year before he died...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by JMM View Post
    Yes, Glenn please tell us more about that conversation between a 13 year old and Speer
    I began collecting and reading about WWII when I was 8 years old, and my family has an extensive German & American military background...In other words, it would be a mistake to think that I represented the average 13 year old kid back then, lol...
    cheers,Glenn

JMM
    ?

Indeed Glenn. Not all 13 old boys would have that interest. It would have been Nice too to have your copy of his book signed

Unfortunately, almost all my old friends are gone now too...the Great Generation has almost vanished now...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Maybe some soldiers diaries would be good.
    "and when he gets to heaven,
    to saint peter he will tell:
    "Just another marine reporting, sir
    I've served my time in hell."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast