Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Proud Father

Article about: Today my son Trey took the oath to the United States army. He is heading to fort leonard wood Missouri in 3 weeks for boot camp and combat engineering school. He is restoring my faith in Ame

We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160819_111104_01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	990398

New one out of Fort Hood this morning. The glamorous life of a private..
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

Dear UKC,

Congratulations to your son and you! Graduation day, it's a great day!

I know about cleaning the toilet, at my Bundeswehr times with the armored combat engineers it was our "Revier" (district of cleaning duty). However it was much more agreable to clean compared with sweeping the roads or the open areas of the barracks, especially in times of foliage

With best wishes
    Erlend
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Name:	20160914_101053_1473870379908.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	999226

Name:	20160914_095908_1473865167235.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	999227

Sometimes I get pics sent to me out of the blue from ft. Hood without description. Apparently they are playing with a 50 cal and night vision gear today.

Name:	IMG_20160916_103327_01.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	999867

Today's post has turned into proud uncle. Pvt Jesse Perkins graduated from the united states air force basic training today. Proud of you and good luck, Nephew.

Trey is now scheduled to go to ft. Irwin in California for 1 month. Should go towards the end of next month for advanced combat engineer training. Then back to Ft. Hood for more training while awaiting his rotation to Afghanistan.

During a phone call from my son today I found out what his main position will be in the 20th engineers battalion. A2 buffalo ordinance and mine clearing vehicle driver. He is off to ft. Irwin California in 3 weeks for advanced combat engineer training and advanced infantry training. Then its back to ft. Leonard wood Missouri where he had basic training for a 3 week class on how to drive and operate this monster of a vehicle. All in preparation for a rotation to Afghanistan. Which I won't be announcing until he is actually in country.
    Name:  300px-Buffalo_mine-protected_vehicle.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  16.7 KB

The second thing I wanted to post was the bayonet I bought him for his rotation to Afghanistan. Although the U.S. army m4 carbine still has a bayonet lug they don't issue bayonets but are allowed to carry a combat knife of their own.. I bought him the M9 bayonet by Ontario knife company. Very rugged, the scabbard also acts as a cutting tool, and fits the end of the m4 nicely..

Name:	20160827_162501.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	1004917

Name:	20160827_162512.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	1004918

Name:	20160827_162558.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	1004919

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    The second thing I wanted to post was the bayonet I bought him for his rotation to Afghanistan. ...
    Hi, UK Cousin !

Aren´t US-soldiers generally equipped with an GI-issued M9 MPBS -bayonet anymore ? ...

BTW, my son, (almost 22 yrs. old), went to barracks in April 2013.
    After his basic military service he joined the Austrian Airborne Battalion.

Best regards, and, good luck to your son,
    R.

No they are not equipped with them anymore even though the m4's are still produced with the bayonet lug. But they are still allowed to have them on deployment in a hostile zone.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast