Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Proud Father

Article about: Today my son Trey took the oath to the United States army. He is heading to fort leonard wood Missouri in 3 weeks for boot camp and combat engineering school. He is restoring my faith in Ame

Congratulations to you and your son

Got the first letter from my son today. I will type it exactly like what is written leaving out only the things private to our family...

Dated 02/20/16

" Dear Dad,

Hey old man, how are things? How's work coming along? I hope everything is good and everyone is okay. As for me, I've been in what's called reception (processing) for the last six days. It really *****. We literally stand in different lines for hours at a time to fill out paperwork and get vaccines. I got a pin shot the other day and now it feels like I have a golf ball covered with thorns in one of my a** cheeks. We wake up at 4am for PT that lasts an hour, come back in and change into our OCP's. Then we go to breakfast and our meals are timed at 6 minutes each. Afterwards we clean everything from land, barracks, bays etc on our hands and knees until it is time to stand in another line for something else. Then comes lunch and more PT. It's all a bunch of hurry up and then wait in another line. We were on lockdown all last weekend because some kid tried to go AWOL. Some of these guys really shouldn't be here. Wednesday (02/24/16) we change locations across base for 9 weeks of combat training. I can't wait!! All the drill sergeants are arrogant a**holes who feel the need to beat you down likje I always thought they would. As weird as it sounds from everything I've told you I actually like it! I really feel like I was meant to be right here right now. I miss and love you dad very much. Thanks for never quitting on me when I gave you so much s**t. Love, Trey..

" P.S. I will actually have a return address for you after Wednesday"
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

MAP
    ?

Makes it all worth it!

And I guess it is true about the old army say of "hurry up and wait"...LoL
    My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sounds like it for sure!
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

Just picked up on this mate.

Congrats to your "boy" for joining up and taking The Oath.

I remember when my son took his Oath for the British Army, (at the Tower of London!), some 12 years ago, you could tell which of us had "done time" with the Colours, we were all quietly reciting it as well!! Lots of very proud relatives that day.

Yes, he will get "beasted" and yes, it will seem like "sh*t for the sake" of it at times, but, there is usually a reason for it, although it might not seem like it at times, but, if he keeps his head down and eyes and ears open, listens to what he's being told and ask's if he's not sure, I'm sure that he will be OK.

Wish him well from an "old sweat" (ex British Army).

Regards etc

Ian D.

AKA: Jimpy

Keep us up to speed with his progress mate.

Thank you jimpy. I will definitely tell him for you.

Wishing my son a happy birthday at boot camp. I hope he didn't ask for a cake..

He has been given his unit designation.. Delta company, 35th Combat engineers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-07-16-00-46.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	942272

03/03/16

" just finished a 48hr sleep deprivation exercise. Nothing like getting smacked in the head and being screamed because you dozed off. The other effect is hysterical laughter. I saw a few guys laughing while doing push-ups and being yelled at."

Delta company 35th engineers has posted current pictures on their fb page. I have yet to spot him in the photos but its his actual company..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1457745416716.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	943620

Name:	FB_IMG_1457745365525.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	943621

Name:	FB_IMG_1457745289336.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	943622

Name:	FB_IMG_1457745301422.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	943623

Name:	FB_IMG_1457745318119.jpg 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	943624

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast