Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US

Article about: We shall not forget the First Responders, men, women and children who all lost their lives on that day. May my brother rest in peace. 343 Firefighters & Paramedics who died 125 People wh

Default Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US

We shall not forget the First Responders, men, women and children who all lost their lives on that day. May my brothers rest in peace.

343 Firefighters & Paramedics who died
    125 People who died at the Pentagon
    92 People died on Flight 11
    64 People died on Flight 175
    64 People died on Flight 77
    44 People died in Flight 93
    23 NYPD Officers lost in the attack

John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 09-12-2018 at 01:13 AM.

You know...so much credit has been handed to the "Greatest Generation"..well deserved by all means. However, a lot to be said for bravery & patriotism for the men who climbed up & into those burning buildings that day & gave their lives to save others.

Thanks John
    David

A surreal day..and one that I will never forget. I visited all three sites within two years of the day, each hold their own "feel" and the aura of sacrifice was thick around them. Very spiritual, God's presence remains there still im sure, and all who perished will be forever remembered. I live rather close to Shanksville, and often drive flight 93 memorial highway. Sadly I haven't been there since it had been formally dedicated as site of remembrance. I may visit it someday again, but I rather like the memory of driving a back road through what seemed to be cow pastures, only to come upon a shockingly large barren area of what I think was a former stripmine. And within that area a large Boulder fenced in away from the public to bear witness to the point of the planes impact. A rather odd feeling that place emits. My condolences for your loss John. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by the tragic events of that day.

Brian

?

ALWAYS REMEMBER ,NEVER FORGET!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I remember, I was at work in Paris, my boss received one phone call, he told us a plane was on one tower, later the other one...
    It was one other world. 17 years!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

It has been said...everyone old enough to remember the day...can tell you where they were & what they were doing at 08:30 AM

A loss of life and innocence, and a violent propulsion into the troubled times we now live in. Hopefully, one day, we will all live in peace.

Never forget.

Regards, B.B.

Default World Trade Center Artifact, US Army Sergeants Major Academy, Fort Bliss, Texas

In remembrance of the events on September 11, 2001,

Pictured is the World Trade Center artifact that took me nearly 5 years to obtain. This small piece is part of the mounting bracket of the Koenig Sphere which sat in the plaza between the North and South Towers of the World Trade Center. When the towers collapsed the sphere was heavily damaged but survived. The Sphere was moved to Battery Park during recovery operations and currently resides in Liberty Park.

On September 11, 2015 the artifact was unveiled at the US Army Sergeants Major Academy at Fort Bliss Texas as a reminder for those lost and for those serving in the Armed Forces of the United States.

The exhibit case was designed and built by one of the Staff and Faculty of the Sergeant's Major Academy. The NYPD uniform was donated to the exhibit by myself. The BDU uniform was donated by a Soldier who was at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. The WTC artifact sits atop two acrylic stands in the form of the World Trade Center and above that the shelf the artifact rests on is in the shape of the Pentagon building, the 2 sites of 3 of the plane crashes. In front of the artifact is the National Park Service brochure from the future site of the memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, the site of flight 93 crash.

Something I will share with everyone about myself which I have not done before on this forum.

This is what I wrote on September 11, 2014...

How will you all remember today, September 11....

Growing up in the late 60's and 70's I had an early appreciation for history. I remember asking my dad what he was during the attack on Pearl Harbor. He and his family were eating Sunday dinner when they heard the news..

Fast Forward 60 years.. My son who was 8 years old at that time would then ask me what I was doing on September 11, 2001.

Each year on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks I would speak to the children of my son's school and would answer the kids questions. I have now started speaking to the members of my church about 9/11.

It was history repeating itself, as I told them that I used to ask my dad what happened at Pearl Harbor...

This is where I was on September 11, 2001...

I was on duty at Fire Station 25 on the East side of the city of El Paso, Texas. Since we are two hours behind New York's time, we were just waking up at 0700 local. My wife, a school teacher called me and told me to turn on the TV. She mentioned there was an accident in New York involving a plane that crashed into a building.

I got home in time to witness the second plane hitting the WTC. I grabbed a notebook and started writing the events down as they happened.

About 2 hours later after the Pentagon was hit, I received two calls. One from the Fire Department advising that all leaves and vacations were cancelled in the event that we needed to deploy search and rescue teams and confined space experts from our department to New York. The second call was from my Company Commander recalling all senior leaders from our Army Reserve Unit. I was ordered to report for duty on September 12, 2001 as the 5035th Garrison Support Unit Military Police Detachment and the Command Group was called in. As the S-3 Sergeant Major, I would remain on active duty until July 2005.

Now retired from the Army and the Fire Department, I still have very strong ties to the Department and what I did for those 11 years of service. Had I not injured myself in the line of duty, I would be just completing my 17th year on the job as a firefighter/medic.

A day does not go by that I do not think about the men and women who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. Sunday at Church I was asked to speak about that day and I did. I opened with a verse from the Bible. I put on a display of small items from the NYFD, NYPD and from the Pentagon.

One of the verses that I recited was this one:

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends". John 15:13

The first responders who went in to rescue and help those victims knew that the situation was in peril, but they went in anyway. There were so many individual acts of heroism on that day.

I too would also ask that as you go about your busy day on September 11, that you say a Prayer or just pause and take a moment of silence and reflect on what these men and women sacrificed on that day.

I Pray daily for the safety of our men and women first responders, Police, Fire, Medical, Military, those who run into danger, when everyone else is running out.

I would also like to thank each member on the Forum who is or was a first responder. Police, Fire, Medical, Homeland Security, Border Patrol, ICE Agents, TSA, Nurses, Doctors anyone who has an active role in protecting our citizens and country. Thank you all and may the Lord Bless you and your families..

I would like to dedicate this post to Firefighter Mark P Whitford, Engine Company 23, NYFD, Manhattan, New York. Mark and his entire company responded to the World Trade Center on September 11, and they were all lost when the South Tower Collapsed.

Last year I met Mark's brother, New York City Police Officer and Command Sergeant Major Chris Whitford when he attended the Non Resident Sergeant's Major Course at Fort Bliss, Texas. I was his instructor and when he left he gave me a challenge coin that he designed in honor of his brother.

Thank you Chris for your service, and Mark, thank you brother and to the 343 firefighters who lost their lives on 9-11.. May God grant you Peace...

Leigh..

17 Years have gone by but for me September 11, 2001 was yesterday. I live each day as a Blessing from my Savior Jesus Christ who died for my sins so that I may Live and help others.. I did that for 22 years in the Army and 11 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic..

Today I continue to help educate people and I try to convey to them the sacrifices of those who came before us and left before us defending Liberties and Freedoms..

I also want to include our Allies who have sacrificed so much during these past 17 years of Global War on Terror... Thank you for all you have done in support of mankind's call to combat terror...

I will never forget my Brothers and Sisters in Arms, and First Responders..... I will live each day Honoring your Sacrifice for me, I will continue the fight.....

Smitty....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US   Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US  

Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US   Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US  

Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US   Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US  

Attached Images Attached Images Remembering 9/11/2001 in the US 

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    It has been said...everyone old enough to remember the day...can tell you where they were & what they were doing at 08:30 AM
    Well. I know I couldn't forget although I wish I could. Just a few months before I worked directly across the street (for over 10 years) and used the Cortland St subway in the WTC everyday (it just reopened this week after being destroyed). Fate moved me out of that building (which was destroyed as well) to Midtown, but still not far enough to not see it all happen a short distance away.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You my friend...are a "Great American" !! I remember the sphere well. Heck, for 20 years I would wine & dine in "Windows of the World". Worked midnight shift for the phone company on the east side & many nights would sneak my girlfriend into work with me...then subway down to the towers to party. One cannot believe how beautiful & awesome they were..especially looking up from the courtyard.
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast