Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

The Story of the "Zehber WIffle" Improvised US Army Multiple Rocket Launcher

Article about: First I am not sure in what portion of the forum to which i should post this help guidance would be appreciated. I have always been deeply interested in inventions and creations made in the

Default The Story of the "Zehber WIffle" Improvised US Army Multiple Rocket Launcher

First I am not sure in what portion of the forum to which i should post this help guidance would be appreciated.

I have always been deeply interested in inventions and creations made in the field showing soldiers of every side weapons or portions of weapons being utilized in unique ways. Most times stories surfaced about these weapons but they are in passing and no pictures survive. So when I found these pics I knew I had to share as its a pretty unique group of pictures with a story to tell. To me its looks dangerous to even rig up. Would love to see more pics of this thing actually firing.

All pictures and description are care of the US Army Signal Corp by way of The Men of the Century – 2nd Platoon, B Company, 399th Infantry, 100th Infantry Division.

Lt. Col. Ellery M. Zehner, Commanding Officer 1st Battalion, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division, thought of an idea whereby ten bazooka rockets (M6A3) could be fired at once. He decided to try it out. A piece of corrugated tin was obtained about six ft. long and rounds were to be fired by a battery. The idea proved successful and this “Zehner Whiffle”, as the men call it, was used against the Germans. At time about 50 rounds were fired, so a bazooka was used to determine the elevation of the corrugated tin. Two infantrymen, Pfc. Thomas A. Dickey (L) and Cpl. John G. Prather, set up the corrugated tin to be used in shooting the bazooka rockets. Pfc. Dickey arranges the corrugated tin, while Cpl. Prather gets ready to sight.

With the bazooka rockets ready to fire, Pfc. Everette W. Ouitt (L) gives a few rounds to Cpl. Ernest L. Cole, who is placing them on the corrugated tin. Ten rockets may be fired at a time, these rounds serve as harassing fire. 1st Battalion, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division. Lambach Area, France. February 14, 1945.

75 / 158
    As bazooka rockets lay on a piece of corrugated tin which will guide them on their way to the desired target. Cpl. Ernest L. Cole wires the ends together so they may be fired by a battery. 1st Battalion, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division. Lambach Area, France. February 14, 1945. P
    73 / 158
    With the bazooka rockets ready to fire, Pfc. Everette W. Ouitt (L) gives a few rounds to Cpl. Ernest L. Cole, who is placing them on the corrugated tin. Ten rockets may be fired at a time, these rounds serve as harassing fire.

76 / 158
    With the bazooka rockets on their improvised launching corrugated tin. Capt. Condee C. Mason, executive officer, connects the electric wires to a B-38 battery from a S-36 radio. This one battery will fire one or ten rockets. 1st Battalion, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division. Lambach Area, France. February 14, 1945.

Enjoy
    GP

All pictures and description are care of the US Army Signal Corp by way of The Men of the Century – 2nd Platoon, B Company, 399th Infantry, 100th Infantry Division.

?

Talk about American ingenuity! That would be awesome to see that launch.

Thanks Gen. for sharing those pic's
    Semper Fi
    Phil