Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Today’s Militaria Marketplace...

Article about: Interesting to watch these Facebook Auctions as well as the solicitation offers I get weekly through my website. This week I had a potential buyer reach out with interest in buying a dress d

?

Default Today’s Militaria Marketplace...

Interesting to watch these Facebook Auctions as well as the solicitation offers I get weekly through my website. This week I had a potential buyer reach out with interest in buying a dress dagger. The one I have is stone mint, tough to find another like it and frankly I cannot give it away. It is just me or is there an entitlement coming to our hobby or is it already upon us? If I look at the years I have sought after pieces, my time, hours of research, much energy, trades, dollars spent, maintenance, insurance policies, gas, shipping, website development, photography time, security systems and more this hobby is a large investment that I think few out there can grasp.

The offer was not even close to market rate. When I named my price the potential buyer said my price was crazy and that I was greedy. I simply replied. No problem. Go find one like it and good luck in your quest. I am not in it to soak people and profit but at days end why should we give away hallmark and mint pieces to someone who has nothing vested and expects so much. I am a collector and not dealing as well which my site clearly states.

Is it me or are you experiencing this down turn in prices and value? Are you running into these entitled brats who expect it for nothing? It is not let’s make a deal.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Some items I am interested in are reaching new highs, others are selling for low prices, partly I think because the next generation of collectors are perhaps not so interested in WWII as we were. For them it is Vietnam, the Falklands and the Gulf wars etc..
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It's a combination of 21st Century narcissism, and increasing frustration over the ever-climbing prices of WWII militaria. I admit to having once felt similarly myself. But that is the way things are. Sulking about it and throwing tantrums isn't going to help anyone. Original WWII items cost money, and if someone wants to build a reasonable collection of them they have to be willing to bite the financial bullet.

And at the end of the day, there are plenty of items that are affordable on even a minimum wage salary. Lusting after the high end stuff can be fun, but will remain a pipe dream for the vast majority of collectors. We all want a brand new Ferrari, but to paraphrase the Stones, 'you can't always get what you want'.

Regards, B.B.

?

I thought it was interesting that the buyer did come back with 3 dress dagger examples today that were much lesser condition, not rare makers and had no accoutrements to try to question my price. I guess we now need lessons to show the less educated that grapefruit, oranges and tangerines are yes all citrus fruits but they are different. It is becoming almost laughable but yet concerning. Study up buttercup as all fruits are not equal was my only reply to him.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I also think that the appeal of TR items has been influenced by the negative press collecting such items attracts these days. Obviously to some an SS helmet/visor etc will always attract big bucks but with the fakes and the often way up there prices only so many will part with their hard earned.

As an aside, the prices of Argentine helmets used on the Falklands are going through the roof, whilst even Iraqi helmets from the first gulf war are on the up, newer items for the newer collectors.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Prices seem to be all over the place at the moment - and it pays to shop around and be patient.
    In regards to your situation - he could have replied in a much more cordial manner.
    If he had done his research he should have known the value. If it was not agreeable he could have simply stated that it was above his budget.
    To be honest Rossi, you will always get chancers like this - just ignore them and put your energy in to respectful people who enjoy the hobby for what it is.
    Nick

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    the prices of Argentine helmets used on the Falklands are going through the roof, whilst even Iraqi helmets from the first gulf war are on the up, newer items for the newer collectors.
    I noticed that with the Argentine helmets. One dealer puts them up for £300+ and within a day they sell. Mad

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I also think that the appeal of TR items has been influenced by the negative press collecting such items attracts these days. Obviously to some an SS helmet/visor etc will always attract big bucks but with the fakes and the often way up there prices only so many will part with their hard earned.

As an aside, the prices of Argentine helmets used on the Falklands are going through the roof, whilst even Iraqi helmets from the first gulf war are on the up, newer items for the newer collectors.
    Anything that upsets the easily offended is something I'll gladly participate in!

B.B.

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Anything that upsets the easily offended is something I'll gladly participate in!

B.B.
    Eating steak in front of a vegan???

As someone who has a couple of vegan friends and teases them mercilessly, yes!

But on a serious note, I do not mean the above comment in an intentionally disrespectful light. I keep my hobbies to myself, and if someone happens to stick their nose in my business and get all uppity about it, I tell them to shove it. It seems that people these days are all too keen to take offence on behalf of others, especially in cases where offence is not actually expressed by those who are supposedly offended.

It is an interesting thought, but perhaps this is the reason more modern conflicts are on the uptick in terms of popularity? Maybe there are a significant number of collectors not keen to get involved with Third Reich militaria due to rampant political correctness. It's certainly something to consider, besides the obvious financial aspect.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast