Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

What are our plans for our collections?

Article about: Since the recent departure ( demise ) of some of our members I was thinking something we all do but rarely speak of - that is, what are our plans for our "worldly possessions" once

Default What are our plans for our collections?

Since the recent departure ( demise ) of some of our members I was thinking something we all do but rarely speak of - that is, what are our plans for our "worldly possessions" once we pass on? Last thread I did like this, I asked about what WE do once we leave here but this time I want to discuss those we leave behind - that's ALSO the function of a forum..

No-one wants their family pestered by the vultures ( and lets not pussy-foot about it, the ambulance chasers are out there ) and if the "WW2 junk" is to be moved on, we need to ensure that our loved ones are not ripped off in the disposal of the collection. Yes it would be nice to think ALL our partners would cherish it as a reminder of us but lets be frank - that is the minority of us ( and lucky you if you are )

I for one have a notebook with "rough" valuations for typical items but I know my wife really wouldn't have a clue what to do with most of the stuff. I hope I can gradually move it on before it becomes her burden.... but then I don't plan on dying any time soon.

What do you all plan for, eh? .... or is it the elephant in the room we don't want to talk about?

Regards, Dan ( tackling the tough issues since 2009 )
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

I have a word file on rough valuations for the Wifey as well, but it's far from being complete!! If we pop off all of a sudden it will go to my favorite Niece!
    Regards
    René

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I have a word file on rough valuations for the Wifey as well, but it's far from being complete!! If we pop off all of a sudden it will go to my favorite Niece!
    I hope she owns a warehouse Rene!!!! ....... you have a HOARD matey

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I hope she owns a warehouse Rene!!!! ....... you have a HOARD matey
    Ahh she's the smart one
    Regards
    René

Dan,
    Most of my close and local collector friends have other close and trusted friends to help and have helped in such cases and the wives have not had to worry to much.
    The only problem is if there is a group helping each other there will always be that last person who will not have anybody to help him or her...LOL YARD SALE!!!!! Everything 5 dollars each!!!!!
    I have two people who will help my family in case something happens to me and it almost did 3 weeks ago with a close call with a 97% blocked artery.
    Marty

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Dan,
    Most of my close and local collector friends have other close and trusted friends to help and have helped in such cases and the wives have not had to worry to much.
    The only problem is if there is a group helping each other there will always be that last person who will not have anybody to help him or her...LOL YARD SALE!!!!! Everything 5 dollars each!!!!!
    I have two people who will help my family in case something happens to me and it almost did 3 weeks ago with a close call with a 97% blocked artery.
    Marty
    3% is close Marty!!! ... too close in fact. Got a stent in now?
    Glenn's passing has rocked me even though I never met him - it was less than 4 months from diagnosis to the curtain call ......brrrr.

Well ~ I have quiet a lot of kit now ~and My Merete asked the same similar question ~ what to do if I either move onto the next level or even blow myslef up ~

I could donate all to a local museum or even the AWM or Lithgow armory ~ No solid plan as yet ~

Other family not interested ~ but they are not even on my Xmas card list~ let alone ~ take charge of Stuart's collection ~

I have been building a pyramid for that exact reason ;-)
    Looking for following WWII German items:
    - anything dealing with Allenstein (Olsztyn) and Wehrkreis I in East Prussia,
    - entrenching tool carrier (straight and folding),
    - forestry and hunting items,

Polish Militaria 1914-1945 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/124584324789966/
    GTA Militaria - Discussions and Sales - https://www.facebook.com/groups/890720157646923/

I have made arrangements so that when I die, my wife will send my
    collection to a collector friend who was my mentor when I first got
    serious collecting. He will sell everything for my wife. For his trouble,
    he gets to pick any one piece he wants out of my stuff.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 12-08-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

This is a great question since no one plans for a sudden event. It is not realistic or fair to leave the burden on a spouse as we age. I have three persons that have agreed to assist and none of them are close acquaintances. Each one has the right of first refusal if all agree on the value. 15% discount given to have the items stay in a collection. My children would like to keep parts and that would certainly be granted. The other stuff will need to be sold. I would like to have the fun of selling the other items if time allows. If not the burden will be unfairly placed on three people so I would like to keep it to a minimum. A recent issue arose in our local collector community. An eighty something person passed and had a bit over 2,300 guns to sell. That is just not right to do. (IMHO) Many of the senior members of the collector community have helped with selling the items. Thanks to them and the hard work! I have spoken about this issue to several people and some just do not care what happens to the 'stuff' since they can no longer enjoy it. "It was a hobby" That hobby has a value that should be passed on to those that are able to appreciate the 'stuff' or the money. Some of the collections are the entire retirement for some folks. A great investment that is slow to come to realization for the remaining spouse or family.
    My apologies for the rant but I see death on a more than regular basis and everyone is surprised.
    John

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast