Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

10TH Hackney rifles group

Article about: Hi his name is stamped as follows 2.LIEUT.J.W.GARDNER

Default 10TH Hackney rifles group

Got these yesterday thought id share them with you guys any more info to help me research would be great please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 10TH Hackney rifles group   10TH Hackney rifles group  

10TH Hackney rifles group   10TH Hackney rifles group  

10TH Hackney rifles group  

Default Re: 10TH Hackney rifles group

I will see what I can find.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The Masonic medal is interesting. Lodge no. 857 (St.Mark's) was located in Kennington, London. The transcript below is from the chaps at GMIC and explains the circumstances of it's bestowal.

QUOTE:

Soon after the end of the First World War, the United Grand Lodge of England decided to establish a memorial to the Brethren who made the supreme sacrifice during that terrible conflict. It was further decided that this memorial should be the erection of a new headquarters for the Craft and an appeal was made to every member for contributions to a fund which became known as the Masonic Million Memorial Fund. Members' contributions to this fund were entirely voluntary and were recognised by three special commemorative jewels.

The first of these jewels was a personal breast jewel to be worn by any member of a Lodge under the English Constitution who contributed ten guineas (£10.50) or more.Over 53,000 individual jewels were issued. For any
    Lodge contributing an average of ten guineas per member. A second jewel, a gold medal on a light blue collarette, was presented to be worn by successive Masters, such Lodges to be known as Hall Stone Lodges, thus giving the jewel its name.1,321 Lodges were thus qualified and their names and numbers are inscribed at Freemasons' Hall in London. In addition, the Province of Buckinghamshire and the Districts of Japan (now defunct) and Burma (in abeyance) had the distinction that every one of their Lodges - 40 in Buckinghamshire - contributed an average in excess of five hundred guineas (£525.00). In recognition of this achievement, a third jewel, a gold and coloured enamel jewel on a dark blue collarette, was presented to be worn by successive Provincial and District Grand Masters. END QUOTE.

Ten guineas then represents over £400 today, a not unconsiderable sum, but Freemasons are regarded as benevolent! Below is a pic of the Masonic headquarters in London that was built on the donations given by the medal holders.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images 10TH Hackney rifles group 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys very interesting big ned also found out J.W.Gardner joined the R.a.f. in 1918 and served in the far east during ww2 so i have been informed will add details a find them also but this also may help for clues about him.I have a couple of Blood chits and documents ill post pics off in the next few days these are from when he served in far east and was something to do with handing equipment out.This is only what i been told by previous owner.

What was his service number?
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Sorry no number at moment still awaiting some items that may have this the medals certainly dont have any info other than rank and name.

Here you go...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 10TH Hackney rifles group  

Wow thanks does the date in pencil 28/8/41 mean rejoined?

I looked up the name 'J W Gardner' in the Army List for December 1917 and December 1918. There were actually a few officers with this name, including men we can eliminate from the King's Own Regt, Yorkshire Regt and the Canadian Expeditionary Force. What is left is potentially a little confusing :/

The Dec 1918 Army List has:

Infantry: Territorial Force: London Regt, 10th Bn: 2nd Lieutenants: (28) Gardner, J.W. 18 Dec 17

This is undoubtedly the same man as on your Commission, as the dates match and everything. However, the Dec 1917 edition has another J W Gardner listed:

Royal Flying Corps, Military Wing: Special Reserve: 2nd Lieutenants (on probation): Gardner, J.W. 8 Jul 16

He has disappeared by the Dec 18 edition, but I also looked the name up in the Air Force List of April 1918 (the list of officers on formation of the RAF). This has only one officer named J W Gardner, listed under the Technical Branch. This one is almost certainly the RFC man transferred by default.

If it wasn’t for the medal card Ade located I would doubt the RAF link with your Commission. I don’t think 'London Gardner' and 'RFC Gardner' are the same man, but it’s an odd coincidence. If they are two different officers, it would appear that your JWG didn’t join the RAF in 1918, but some time later, as he is still listed as an Army officer in Dec 1918. The qualification dates for the British War Medal were 1914-1920, so it is possible he could have joined the RAF in 1919 or 1920 and still qualified.

Further research would be needed to clear this up. Something to be wary of, though, when you research this individual. What is the inscription on the medals?

Rob

?

God i love mystery's like that lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast