Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog

Article about: could anyone please pass their expert eye over this frog, iam unsure whether it is a good one or a copy, my concern is the rivets as the stub part is not domed but rather sharped edged.

?

Default 1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog

could anyone please pass their expert eye over this frog, iam unsure whether it is a good one or a copy, my concern is the rivets as the stub part is not domed but rather sharped edged.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog   1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog  

1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog   1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog  

1908 pattern webbing bayonet frog  

?

Could be a difference in manufacturers. I have seen alot of UK leather web gear with the same style of rivets.

Jim

?

Thanks for reply, that is interesting to know , maybe it could be ok then.

Busman,

Sadly this is a doctored frog. The date stamp is modern and not contemporary to 1914 check out 'karkee web' for proper markings. The ink on yours is thick and blurred and has been printed over real wear. The helve strap is a later replacement. It may be the later pattern 08 frog produced post WW1 which were made without the strap. Your frog that has been 'sexed up' to make it more commercial. A barge pole comes to mind and I would send it back to the ebay buyer you bought it from.

regards

Mark

?

Thanks Mark for advice, I had my doubts and in fact and also emailed Karkeeweb this is the reply(It's a pile of doo -doo. Crappy, cobbled together, with a fake stamp, and from an ebay seller with a reputation for similar crap. Other than that, it's perfect....) I have contacted seller and will be sending back for full refund, shows how this seller is know as not once did I mention eBay. I always think worth a punt on eBay as I know I can get my money back if not happy,and I have had a few nice bits off of eBay. Many thanks for replies and advice, I know I can always get good impartial and sound advice here.

?

Always good to have someone with some real, solid experience with an item to share their knowledge.

Jim

Worth the risk but not with that seller!

Quote by busman View Post
    Thanks Mark for advice, I had my doubts and in fact and also emailed Karkeeweb this is the reply(It's a pile of doo -doo. Crappy, cobbled together, with a fake stamp, and from an ebay seller with a reputation for similar crap. Other than that, it's perfect....) I have contacted seller and will be sending back for full refund, shows how this seller is know as not once did I mention eBay. I always think worth a punt on eBay as I know I can get my money back if not happy,and I have had a few nice bits off of eBay. Many thanks for replies and advice, I know I can always get good impartial and sound advice here.