Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1909 pattern sd cap?

Article about: What do you think? its a recent purchase with some moth on the back. The interior doesnt look right for a ww1 period cap and it has no vent gromets . No buttons, strap or badge. Basically st

Default 1909 pattern sd cap?

What do you think? its a recent purchase with some moth on the back. The interior doesnt look right for a ww1 period cap and it has no vent gromets . No buttons, strap or badge. Basically stripped and sad looking but I love it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1909 pattern sd cap?   1909 pattern sd cap?  

Last edited by helldunkle; 08-25-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: pics not showing

Default Re: 1909 pattern sd cap?

I think its a contemporary Horse Guards SD cap . Its basically the same cap save for the plastic lining band and underside to peak . You can badge it up as any guards Regt witha set up peak i guess ?

I would agree with Rob.

Cheers, Ade.

Me too........

Maybe it's been stripped down to try and make it seem older
    than it really is !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

HD,

Is that the remains of a name OR service number that I can see on the sweatband?
    If its a number, and its 8 figures long, then its modern, ie: POST 1950's.
    If its 7 figures long, then its WWII. (But, it could also have belonged to an "old timer", although I doubt it)
    Personally, I am edging towards POST WWII, main reason being, although the Brigade of Guards and the Household Division still wore the khaki SD cap throughout the war, on EVERY single photo that I have ever seen of them during this time span, apart from a couple, the peaks have NOT been slashed and set-up. This was not done due to the austerity measures then in effect.
    Also, as far as I am aware, the underside of the peak was also faced in KHAKI cloth, NOT green during the war.
    I have a studio photo, dated 1941, of my late grandfather in BD wearing web belt and bayonet and his SD cap. The peak is NOT slashed. (He was a serjeant in the Grenadier Guards)

Just my two pennorth

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 10-29-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Grammar/addition