Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.

Article about: Hey guys, Here's my new WW1 medal group. 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. All named to: 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E. I've tried to find his medal index card but it wouldn't show the

?

Default 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.

Hey guys,

Here's my new WW1 medal group.
    1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL.
    All named to: 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.
    I've tried to find his medal index card but it wouldn't show the details.
    Is there any other way to find out information on Keeler?
    How much can I find out about this man?
    He could be a Kiwi or British? Royal Engineer...

Thanks

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.   1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.   1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.   1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

He would have been British.

Here are his records.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.   1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A good group Danger, and interesting to see they kept him for the Z reserve in case the Huns restarted the war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Ade.
    It feels good to know somthing of the man and not just
    his medals.
    George Keeler.
    Wonder how old he was and which part of Britain he came from?
    Is it hard to find more army records?

I know a lot got destroyed by bombs in WW2 and what's left
    are called the burnt records.
    Chances are his records are long gone right?

Z reserve, how long did they keep them together?
    Was it common to be kept or asked to be in the Z reserve?

Cheers guys

Default Keeler

Here's his BWM and VM roll
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914-15 STAR, B.W.M. & VICTORY MEDAL. Named 2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.  

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

nice group.

I could not locate his service record, so the odds are it was lost in WW2 care of Hermann Goring.

These records which Paul and I have added are from Ancestry which requires a subscription to view them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

As to further research.

I looked up the 1911 census. I could only find one possible candidate with correct Christian name and middle initial and possible date of birth:

NAME: George Daniel Keeler
    BIRTH: abt 1887 - London, United Kingdom
    RESIDENCE: 2 Apr 1911 - Paddington, London, England

The odds are this MIGHT be your man. But I cannot say 100%.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I think Class Z reserve was usually for men uninjured and able to fight again if necessary. The former POW index cards I’ve seen (no more than 4 or 5) were all marked – Class Z reserve.

All went back to normal in 1920 with Class Z reserve being abolished. Ah, Jerry's beaten me to it

And Ade beat me with the census.

I’ve found a George Daniel Keeler by searching the 1911 census, born 1895 + / – 10 years however, with no other records to confirm his middle name, the following is only a guess. By the way, there was another but he was too young to go to war in 1915.

George Daniel Keeler
    Age in 1911: 24
    Estimated Birth Year: 1887
    Relation to Head: Son
    Birth Place: London, United Kingdom
    Civil Parish: Paddington
    County/Island: London
    Street address: 11 Woodfield Gardens, Harrow Rd W
    Marital Status: Married
    Registration district: Paddington

Tony
    Last edited by ynot; 01-06-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Slower at writing and searching than Jerry and Ade

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast